Article: More Vigilance Needed to Prevent Children Having Food Allergic Reaction

Started by hezzier, June 25, 2012, 04:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggiedog

I saw this too.  In a way, it makes me irritated because there is a big emphasis on how 11% of the time reactions are caused by the primary care giver.  That feels skewed and makes it seem, to me, like FA parents are being painted as either too casual about it, or irresponsible for feeding the allergen on purpose to "test" the allergy.  Like we're crazy if we're vigilant and crazy if we're not.  Not much emphasis on the other 89% of reactions, particularly of school age kids and the large percentage of reactions that happen at school.

YouKnowWho

Or is that 11% a sign of lousy labeling.  In our home, that has certainly been the case.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

CMdeux

Yup.

Or that the margin for error is just that tiny.

I would not say that DD's reactions have been Primary caregiver CAUSED.

No.  Too simplistic, since that implies a "mistake" of some kind, whereas our experience is that generally, bad labeling is behind almost ALL of her ingestion reactions. 

Btw, as far as we can tell, only ~30% of DD's anaphylactic reactions have been from the ingestion of food. ANY food.

We're at one end of the curve, I realize.  But in DD's case, the reason why so many of her reactions would be reported to be on "my" watch is that... we learned VERY early on how small the margin for error is, and we've not given care of DD over to very many other people in the intervening years.  So yeah.  99.5% of her life has been spent with a parent.

OF COURSE most of her reactions have happened during that 99.5% of her life.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hezzier

Don't forget about how bad advice from an allergist can play into this number also.  We certainly got some bad info the first time around.  I've learned more here than I did in any allergist office.

GoingNuts

Quote from: hezzier on June 25, 2012, 07:26:34 PM
Don't forget about how bad advice from an allergist can play into this number also.  We certainly got some bad info the first time around.  I've learned more here than I did in any allergist office.

True 'dat. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

YouKnowWho

You know you have a great allergist when their advice mirrors what is read on this site :)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview