login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Egg Substitutions?  (Read 11612 times)

Description: Betty Crocker lemon cake mix needs three eggs

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
Egg Substitutions?
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »
So this Lemon Cake mix from Betty Crocker needs three eggs.  I know I can use baby food to substitute (1 container of baby food per egg, CMDeux says) when it needs just 1 or 2 eggs, but will it work for 3 eggs?  I know that's a lot of egg needed for a cake this size.  What can I do to modify the mix recipe so it's egg free?  ??? (Dealing with peanuts, tree nuts except hazelnuts, shellfish, soy, and egg.)
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Egg Substitutions?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »
I tend to cheat and use EnerG egg replacer which seems to work well in replacing up to three eggs (but I cook/bake predominately gluten free recipes so it's hard to distinguish if they change the consistency  :misspeak:).

I know others use a mixture of products when trying to achieve three egg replacements. 

Living Without has some great suggestions and subs
http://www.livingwithout.com/resources/substitutions.html
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »
Mori-Nu silken tofu. I've called it's a dedicated facility. You can also use Sunrise soya silken tofu in any of its flavors. All nut free, and but for one egg-tofu product made in another facility from their silken tofu custard products, all are egg free and dairy free as well. There is a mango flavor, however. It's also been a while since I got this info so I'd email them for current data.

Oops. Didn't catch the soy first time around.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:14:27 PM by twinturbo »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »
Yeah, I don't think that my DH would appreciate THOSE cupcakes.   :misspeak:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »
I know, I know. I need  :coffee:. My day has been one of those days.  :dunce:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
No problem-- I know exactly what you mean...

one final suggestion to our OP in particular:

Your mom prefers chocolate to lemon any day of the week, and happily, chocolate only needs TWO eggs.  Just sayin.  Lemon is great, but a mom who is allergic to uncooked citrus can probably only eat a small bit of that one... whereas chocolate is.. well... just a better choice.

Western U.S.

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »
Oh.  :misspeak:

Chocolate it is, then.  :thumbsup:

I always forget about the citrus.  I'm such an idiot.   :hiding:

EDITED:  I just looked and, whoopsie, the dark chocolate mix requires three eggs TOO.   :paddle: Swift oar to the back of the box.  I suppose I can try subbing just two baby food containers; if it falls apart, we'll put some cream and strawberries in it and call it black forest cake.   :coolbeans:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:11:54 PM by SkyScorcher »
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:04:03 AM »
I have found any cake mix i tried without eggs, was crumbly, but ok.  I think I once used a can of seltzer at someone's advice on an older allergy forum.  It made ok cupcakes, but crumbly. 

I did not succeed with ener-gy egg replacer.  I think the baby food type options are better.  Maybe due to the viscosity?  Or some combination of both, so you get some of the additional leavening. 

I always found cakes (mixes) quite experimental without eggs.  Ended with preferring the "wacky cake" recipe. 

becca
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »
Oh, I just remembered!  Pumpkin!  My sister made wonderful cupcakes that were just a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin - no other ingredients.  Just mix and bake  :)

The cupcakes weren't crumbly and seemed like they'd still be fine in cake form, too.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »
I've done that as well-- Rebekah, do you know if it was a large (or small) can of pumpkin?

I think that it must be the small for a boxed mix.

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
I use a regular can of pumpkin -- the 14.5 oz size.  Are there different sizes?  And, because the batter can be sooooo thick, I add a little water until it gets to a cake batter consistency.

I use either a spice cake mix or carrot cake mix, I think Duncan Hines has no milk, egg, etc.  in it.   
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
Yeah, we avoid Duncan Hines b/c of TN risk, but the Betty Crocker version does have milk in it, I think.  I know that I've done it with spice cake and gingerbread... but the chocolate thing R mentioned intrigues me. 

Pumpkin, yes-- we usually buy it in the 32 oz. cans, because... um... we really like pumpkin.  <blush>

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:28:52 AM »
There is t/n contamination with Duncan Hines??  Well then, that eliminates that one for us.  But we've used it a few times   :hiding:

Guess we were lucky.

I tried the chocolate cake mix and I just didn't care for it with the pumpkin.  Others may like it.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
My sister has made it with chocolate and yellow cake mixes and both were really good.  I prefer the chocolate, though.  I'm almost positive she uses the regular canned veggie size (14-15 oz?).  The batter is really thick, but she doesn't water it down any.

She also makes lots of from-scratch vegan cupcakes for us and has a lot of really yummy recipes.  Her cupcakes are never dry or crumbly and no one can even tell they're vegan.  She got started here: http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/category/cupcakes (sweet potato cupcakes with maple spice buttercream).  When a recipe calls for almond meal, she usually substitutes coconut flour. 
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
In cakier recipes, you can sometimes sub bananas 1:1. Chocolate'll go a long way to mask any flavor changes.
The 3 is silent.