Frozen Dinners

Started by GoingNuts, June 27, 2012, 08:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

My 18 year old son is going to college in the fall, and I want him to have some frozen dinners to microwave in his dorm room to supplement the dining hall fare - much of which will be off limits.

We,ve never used these them, and I would appreciate recommendations of brands that label well, taste decent, and aren't completely, thoroughly unhealthy.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

hk

I forget-is he pn only or other things too?

GoingNuts

PN, TN, sesame, chick pea, some forms of soy (tofu, edamame, soy milk).
N.E. US

Macabre

I am sesame. DS is PA.  And I have had some PA rxns. We use Amy's a lot. I have had a sesame rxn to the pizza and do not eat it. I regularly eat the pockets and the lot pies. And I eat the Mexican dinners sometimes.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Oooh but no--being vegetarian i would worry about xc with soy and chickpea
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

And TN.  Amy's is X-contam with tree nuts.  :tongue:

We don't worry about X-contam with soy, because he eats other forms of soy without problem.  His soy allergy seems to be birch-related, so if the form of processing destroys the birch pollen, he's good.  For example, he can eat soy sauce, and our bread contains soy flour.  No problemo.
N.E. US

YouKnowWho

Well there is Ians (gag), though I don't know about sesame and soy may be an issue for some of them.

What about Evol bowls?  DS1 likes them and I like that they are lacking in junk.  They are more expensive than your average frozen dinner BUT they also tend to be bigger (DS has to split his meal).
http://evolfoods.com/products/

http://www.tfaforms.com/153662
What I don't know is if is sesame or beans are an issue though...
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

YouKnowWho

Another consideration, which is something my mom used to do prior to the availability of frozen dinners and I keep thinking that I should do.

She had a pretty awesome seal a meal unit and would buy the heavier plastic wrap that could withstand boiling.  She would pop leftover meals in them in individual portions and then add to boiling water.

Probably not the healthiest thing but better than some of what is on the market.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

hk

Quote from: YouKnowWho on June 28, 2012, 01:07:35 PM
Another consideration, which is something my mom used to do prior to the availability of frozen dinners and I keep thinking that I should do.

She had a pretty awesome seal a meal unit and would buy the heavier plastic wrap that could withstand boiling.  She would pop leftover meals in them in individual portions and then add to boiling water.

Probably not the healthiest thing but better than some of what is on the market.

How far away will he be?  I think this is a great idea!  I had asked about the allergens because I knew about Amy's and the nuts (and I thought they told me sesame several years ago, but maybe not).  I

Now I'm thinking about doing some seal a meal stuff for a long trip we are going to take.  A lot of work up front, but SO worth it.

Best of luck on figuring this out.  I'll keep my eyes open for frozen food ideas when I'm out.  I have never really bothered to look with all of dd's allergens.

hk

Quote from: YouKnowWho on June 28, 2012, 12:54:20 PM
Well there is Ians (gag), though I don't know about sesame and soy may be an issue for some of them.

What about Evol bowls?  DS1 likes them and I like that they are lacking in junk.  They are more expensive than your average frozen dinner BUT they also tend to be bigger (DS has to split his meal).
http://evolfoods.com/products/

http://www.tfaforms.com/153662
What I don't know is if is sesame or beans are an issue though...

I ruled Ian's out for us, but I can't remember if it was due to sesame or egg. 

Princess Cheese

This might seem awkward, but I've recently discovered Great Value brand LASAGNA!  It's soooooooo good.  So much meat and sauce.  You can cook it in the oven OR in the microwave.  It's amazing.  Totally filling!
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview