FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Why do my potatoes always burn?  (Read 6139 times)

Description:

Offline Ciel

Why do my potatoes always burn?
« on: July 04, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
Or rather, what am I doing wrong??

Every single recipe that is potato-based something on the stove top always, always, always burns. Oven roasted, microwaved or boiled etc.. is always fine (thank goodness, because if I can't manage to boil a potato I suppose I would have culinary issues on a much larger scale...)

Cast iron pan, stainless steel skillet, it doesn't matter. It always sticks to the bottom and scorches. I add oil as directed, set the temperature according to the instructions; still it ends the same way.

I get rid of excess water, starch, etc.. whatever it says and I follow the recipe exactly (after thinking that hastiness or improvisation was surely the reason for my failing the first time or two). Makes no difference.

Potato pancakes. Failed.
Rosti. Failed
Bubble and Squeak. Failed. (but the absurd name made me giggle).
Another layer dish that was meant to be started in the skillet and finished under the broiler, I don't remember the name. Doesn't matter, because, oh yes -it failed.

Is there something glaringly obvious that everybody knows, except me? Why oh why do my potatoes always burn?

Offline nameless

Re: Why do my potatoes always burn?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
I'm thinking that your stovetop runs hot --- try cutting the heat :)   For mine - if it says "medium" I'm always on Med-Low b/c otherwise it's all too hot.

Are you gas or electric stovetop?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
Was going to ask the same - gas or electric?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:59:48 PM »
I love bubbles and squeak!  Might be time to hit the scottish restaurant soon.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »
What is bubbles and squeak?  If it involves potatoes, I'll love it.  I never met a potato I didn't love, LOL.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Ciel

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:08:36 AM »
My stove is electric. It makes sense to try a lower temperature...At the risk of sounding like a really dim bulb, but I was so caught up in following the recipes exactly as written that the thought of lowering the temperature from the start hadn't crossed my mind.  I usually lower it when I smell something burning, which is obviously too late.

I was trying a variation of Bubble and Squeak made with potatoes and kale. I salvaged most of it and just ate it out of a bowl with a spoon. I've pasted the recipe here for anyone who is interested. This version was originally from the Whole Foods website, I used Earth Balance and soy milk but the original called for regular butter and milk. (I don't think that was the problem though).

Potato and Kale Bubble and Squeak

1 3/4 lbs russet potatoes (about 3 large or 5 small), peeled and quartered
2 Tbs earth balance
2 Tbs plain soy milk
1 cup cooked, chopped kale (cooled)
4 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
1 Tbs canola oil

Directions
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold salted water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat and simmer until they are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Return potatoes to the pot and add butter and milk. With a potato masher or large fork, mash potatoes until very smooth.

2. Meanwhile, if using frozen kale, defrost according to package directions. Squeeze kale gently with your hands to remove as much water as possible. Add kale, green onions, salt and pepper to potatoes and stir until combined.

3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil. When hot, scrape the potato mixture into the pan and use a spatula to level the top. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Working in sections (the cake will break apart as you flip it) use a spatula to flip the pancake over, then press the top gently with the spatula to make the top smooth again. Continue cooking until the bottom is browned and the potatoes are heated through, about 8 more minutes. Serve warm.

Servings: 4

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe.
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 300
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10g 15%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Cholesterol 15mg 5%
Sodium 340mg 14%
Total Carbohydrates 47g 16%
Fiber 6g 24%
Sugar 3g
Protein 7g 14%

Source
Web Page: http://wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/3196

The name of this classic British dish is attributed to the sounds the vegetables make while cooking: they "bubble" while boiling and then "squeak" while frying. Its combination of fluffy potatoes and earthy cooked kale makes it a comfort food classic and a great choice for serving alongside everything from roasts to eggs to sausages.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »
The one I've had is potatoes, leeks, bacon and some butter!!  It's excellent.

Offline CookingMom

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 01:29:28 AM »
This is a very late reply but for the future you might want to keep in mind...

To avoid sticking...

The pan must be hot and must have some type of oil even if using a non-stick pan.

Non-stick pans can be buttered/oiled before heating but you do have to be careful not to burn the butter/oil before adding the ingredient.

Using butter is generally better than oil and definitely better than margarine.  If you're avoiding dairy, can you use Crisco?  Margarine is absolutely the worst for burning and frying.  Order:  butter, Crisco, oil and margarine if you have to but beware!

If a non-stick pan, don't spray with PAM before using butter/oil.  If other than a non-stick pan, spray with PAM and still use butter/oil.  (I know it defeats the purpose of PAM but hey, we're cooking potatoes here--not meat--LOL.)

If you try to reduce the heat on an electric stove, it will take longer to cool down than if you were using a gas stove.  Thus, for electric, start with a medium high heat.  Make sure the pan is hot.  Add butter/oil.  Immediately reduce to medium or even medium-low after adding potatoes.  By the time the element cools down, it should be time to flip the potatoes.  They should not stick if you have used butter.  Immediately return the heat to medium-high for a minute or two, then reduce to medium.

Gas burners are more forgiving and you can raise/lower the heat faster.  Which means, you do have to raise/lower the heat during the stages of cooking...which means you have to pay attention to every stage.

As I typed this, having wanted to reply for a couple of weeks now, I realized that I began my cooking journey at the age of 4 when my mom taught me how to fry an over easy egg in hot Crisco.  I stood on a stool at a gas stove and had to crack the egg into the pan, flip it when I though it was ready and then plate it.  Every time the yolk broke, I began again.  My mom said it only took a dozen eggs for me to get the hang of it.  My brother, 2 1/2 years older, took almost 3 dozen eggs!  To this date, I can still remember standing over that frying pan with the grease splattering on me.  It didn't bother me at all--I just wanted to succeed...before my brother did!  And yes, I can still cook an over-easy egg perfectly...most times!...on either a gas or electric stove.  Good memories...am teaching my son how to flip an egg...gosh, what patience my mother had to deal with two children flipping eggs!  All because she hated cooking breakfast, LOL!
DS - PA, TNA, chick peas (outgrew sesame seeds)
U.S.A.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
that was a great story, cookingmom!

I wish I was a better cook.  I can put out a good meal, but nothing fantastic, yk? 

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes