Need some positive vibes, prayers, crossed digits, whatever!

Started by MandCmama, July 02, 2012, 02:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

Both boys have their 6 month check up tomorrow with our allergist.  Just before the last appointment, DS2 had an accidental exposure to a minute amount of super heated egg.  Though not earth shattering, we're hoping it means we're moving in the right direction, as far as out growing goes.  Doc said that at this visit she would test him to see if he might be ready for a challenge.  Trying not to get TOO hopeful because recently he's had some small eczema patches(he really hasn't had much since he was an infant).  But it been SOOO hot and humid- mine is flared up and so is DS1's. He has maybe 3 or 4 patches the size of a pencil eraser....

I know all of you know how life changing adding egg back would be. :crossed:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

booandbrimom

Just a reminder that baked egg/milk tolerance seems to have very little to do with test results.

http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(11)00674-9/abstract

Our son still has a RAST of around 7, plus a VERY reactive SPT. He passed (although he does have some symptoms with some baked products).
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

CMdeux

I was going to mention that, too.

Might be worth trying BAKED egg for a challenge no matter what the numbers are, YK?

There's currently some thought that introducing baked egg in a controlled manner (as tolerated) leads to much earlier (and better?) tolerance in egg-allergic kiddos.

I will say, I never thought my DD would pass, based on her history, but it's been life-changing just to not worry about shared lines anymore in things with high-heat-treated egg.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Mfamom

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

YouKnowWho

Crossing fingers, thinking positive thoughts while praying!  Egg is that one food that makes life the hardest for us with all of the allergies.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

AllergyMum

DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

MandCmama

:-[ well....I had a moment of crushing disappointment, but now it's life back to "normal", I suppose.  The skin test was a 3+, almost a 4+ (my guess is it was a 4+, but she saw the tears in my eyes). :disappointed:
I mentioned baked egg regardless of the test results.  She said she doesn't usually go that route because there is always a risk of egg being too under baked.  I explained that we would never order him anything eggy in a restaurant, but would just like to feel reasonably secure taking him to one.  We'd save the baked egg for home.  She understood that even that much would be life changing for us.
  She brought up the idea of component testing as something we may be able to do down the road if he doesn't outgrow.  I guess depending on which proteins he is allergic to, will indicate to her how well he would tolerate baked egg?  Anyway, she went on to say that there is not a local lab that she would trust and it would cost thousands to send it away due to insurance company rejection.  I asked her if there were ANY reliable labs, and I would check with my insurance.  She is researching that for me and is going to send that info along to us, as well as a stern letter to the SPED director re: his denying us transportation accommodations. :rant:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

lakeswimr

I would push for a baked egg challenge.  I can't remember the stat but it is something like 70% of egg-allergic kids who can eat baked egg. The odds are on your side and food challenges that begin very, very slowly are very safe.  I don't understand your allergist's hesitation.  Your kids are old enough to communicate if they have any early symptoms. 

GingerPye

Our allergist told me yesterday that DS can do a baked egg challenge.  His numbers are pretty much the same as they've always been.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

booandbrimom

M&C, that sounds very hard. I remember very well going through similar appointments at around that age. I was always so hopeful my son would be one of the "easy" milk allergies. Unfortunately, he's still very allergic at 17.

HOWEVER...we have seen his numbers change quite a bit during his teen years. My son was one of those kids who reacted to baked milk as a toddler, to hydrolyzed protein...basically to everything. He's now able to tolerate at least some baked milk (although we've suspended it for FAHF-2).

I'm just saying...even if you have one of the persistent ones, there's still hope. I would certainly rather have a 3 year old with milk or egg allergy in 2012, than in 1998. Even if baked foods don't work out, there really will be something 5 years aw-...well, in the future, at least.

I did ask about milk/egg during the component testing webinar last week. Apparently some doctors are using it to see if milk/egg allergies are likely to be persistent (the persistent ones involve certain, distinct proteins). However, a challenge test is a lot cheaper and faster!

A lot of allergists are just really uncomfortable with challenge testing. It just opens them up to liability. It's so much easier to just say "no, avoid".
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview