FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Egg Allergy

Egg Baked Challenge (what RAST is okay?)

<< < (2/4) > >>

admin rebekahc:
hk
Posted: 07.14.2010 at 07:57:05

That's interesting. I had no idea that a RAST under 5 is considered low enough to consider a challenge (baked or otherwise). DD's RAST for egg has always been slightly under 5. Still, I am absolutely certain she would not pass a regular egg challenge. I'll have to discuss the idea of a baked egg challenge at our appointment in October. She told me last night that she thinks she's going to get rid of one of her allergies this year. I hope she's right.

7 yo DD - TN, PN, egg, sesame, avocado, flax, fish, cherry, mango

admin rebekahc:
Bunny
Posted: 07.14.2010 at 11:51:07

DS had a baked egg challenge last summer when he was 5. His RAST was around 8 and his SPT was positive. But the doc said most kids he challenged with those numbers passed. Unfortunately, my DS was not one of them. He failed on the first bite. Itchy mouth, nausea, a few blotchy/hivey spots on his face and then he threw up about 2.5 hours later.

Saw the doc again this summer and he said he wouldn't even draw another RAST until next year because there was no way that DS would go from failing on the first bite to passing the baked challenge in the space of one year. So there was no reason to draw RASTs this year -- nothing is likely to have changed enough to justify it.

Good luck with your challenge.

7 year old DS with LTFA to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and flax seed.

admin rebekahc:
AllergyMum
Posted: 07.14.2010 at 12:33:17

07.14.2010 at 07:57:05, hk wrote:

--- Quote ---That's interesting.  I had no idea that a RAST under 5 is considered low enough to consider a challenge (baked or otherwise). .
--- End quote ---

I wonder if anyone has ever done any research on what number the majority of people have when passing a baked challenged?  Or if each doctor bases it own their own practice history?

DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies

http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

Canada

admin rebekahc:
CMdeux
Moderator1
Posted: 07.14.2010 at 12:36:28

I think that I recall that from a conversation with our allergist, AllergyMum...

I think that the 50% pass value is about 7 kU/l on a RAST.

But I don't know if that is baked/not. I'm assuming that it is probably highly cooked.

Our doc is a research afficionado, though, so he definitely READ/heard it somewhere from someone that has done the number-crunching somehow.

« Last Edited by CMdeux 07.14.2010 at 12:37:36 »

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." -Robert Louis Stevenson

USA

admin rebekahc:
Bunny
Posted: 07.14.2010 at 01:08:32

07.14.2010 at 12:36:28, CMdeux wrote:

--- Quote ---I think that I recall that from a conversation with our allergist, AllergyMum...

I think that the 50% pass value is about 7 kU/l on a RAST.

But I don't know if that is baked/not.  I'm assuming that it is probably highly cooked.

Our doc is a research afficionado, though, so he definitely READ/heard it somewhere from someone that has done the number-crunching somehow.
--- End quote ---

That is the same info my doc -- who works at a research hospital -- told us.  I think it is for baked egg, but our doc's experience is that more than 50% can pass the baked egg challenge with a RAST of 7 or lower.  He thought DS had a good chance to pass with a RAST of 8, but that turned out not to be the case.  We had the distinction of being the first "fail" among all his patients that he challenged for baked egg.  Bummer. 

7 year old DS with LTFA to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and flax seed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version