login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pizza  (Read 14684 times)

Description:

Offline anxious

Pizza
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »
I used to use Giordanno's no problem. But when I called and asked if safe for pa/tna the guy goes, "we're told to say we cannot guarantee it's safe since we cannot guarantee what our manufactures may have it on the same facility/lines." When I called Pappa johns I receive a nice rep. But she said she can guarantee a certain crust does and thinks the sauce and cheese too. but stated she recommends to trial and error by trying to see. I was like what!!! I'm not going to trials with my kids. So now I'm wondering what pizza places are safe with PA/TNA??

We make our own but sometimes the kids what to order and I'm afraid to.

Offline Jessica

Re: Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
We trust Domino's, Cici's and Chuck E Cheese's. I've also heard that Little Caesar's is safe.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
We've used Papa Murphy's in the past.  (DD is pn/tn/egg, DH is walnut and soy-allergic, though his soy tolerance is pretty high, and I'm sfa.)

Generally, though, we rely on local pizzerias rather than chains; I speak with the manager and double check the info any time there are any menu changes and otherwise about every six months or so.

There are two local places (of about seven-- we're in a college town) which are safe for DD and I both (well, okay-- reasonably so... since both have menu items with our allergens in, but they're also pretty careful).  There is just one which is okay for all three of us; we aren't sure what's up with the other place, but it has made DH sick about three times, so we think that something in their dough or sauce recipe has changed recently and now includes a lot more soy.  They've added a gluten-free line, so that may be part of it.  Anyway-- long story short, we have discovered that for us personally, the combination of cluelessness, poorly trained employees, and CYA from corporate leads to most chains being out of our comfort zone.

I've only run into one pizza place (on vacation in Port Townsend WA-- Waterfront Pizza, if anyone is up that way) that was truly free of ALL of our allergens-- it was so nice to eat there.  It was also really good pizza.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »
We take CM's route too and generally eat at local pizza places. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
Ditto!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SwayGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
We've used Papa Murphy's in the past.  (DD is pn/tn/egg, DH is walnut and soy-allergic, though his soy tolerance is pretty high, and I'm sfa.)

FYI, just ate Papa Murphy's for the first time 2 days ago while out of town visiting relatives. I ate half a slice and started to get an itchy, tight throat and general realization that I should not be eating this! I had been told it was safe (I am TNA also). Quickly got on their website and saw that the pizza we were having was listed for possible cross-contamination at manufacturer. Several other menu items were also listed as possible x-cont. Plus side, they don't seem to have tree nuts actually in anything, just lots of x-cont warnings.

Live and learn. Just when I think I know what I'm doing, I realize I've dropped the ball.  ~) Too bad, because it was pretty good pizza!

Swaygirl
Almonds, walnuts, strawberries 

Offline Jessica

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 03:19:17 AM »
I wish we could eat at the local places. The ones here have pretty much said they won't guarantee anything (which I understand of course) because they have such a high turnover of help and they don't always get their supplies from the same places so they wouldn't be able to know if a certain supplier is safe or not every time. They would have to check every single time we went and since they couldn't do that in the evening or on weekends it really wouldn't be practical for us. Before I stressed about cross contamination and such they just said 'we don't use nuts so everything is fine' and I didn't really get the impression they understood the importance.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:16:24 AM »
We trust Domino's, Cici's and Chuck E Cheese's. I've also heard that Little Caesar's is safe.

Little Caesars reads safe, they assure us it's safe and we have had no issues with it.

BUT others have posted on this board and it's many incarnations that they have had issues with Little Caesar's specifically.  And they have never received a concrete answer.  One or two random issues and I might think stomach bug or something else going on.  But there was a parent who said their child reacted several times to LC's, to the point she thought her child was developing another allergy since LC's was so clear that it was safe.  Methinks there is something funny going on, kwim?

It stinks because I pay over $10 now for one GF pizza (not including additional toppings) that is roughly the size of a Totino's (not vetting Totino's safety, just size comparison) and LC was a great option for 1-2 pizzas for the rest of us. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
Most recent LC discussion
Little Ceasars Pizza and Crazy Bread

ETA: For some reason another subject was named but it went to the LC discussion when clicked.  Odd.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:43:46 AM by YouKnowWho »
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
We ordered Domino's, but once it got here, I saw how unbelievably GREASY and nasty it looked and passed. lol.

I can only think of 1 local place that sells pizza, maybe two, but they both make shrimp/fish stuff so that's out because the thought or SMELL of fish makes me sick.

I stick to Totino's pizza.. haha..
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline EmilyAnn

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 10:25:07 PM »
Is Pizza Hut safe? My kids like it the best, but my oldest was recently diagnosed with a peanut and tree nut allergy.
Mommy to David age 5 1/2 allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, dust, mold, peanuts, tree nuts, beans, and peas and suffering from severe eczema and 3 other little boys with no know allergies

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:37:02 PM »
Here's the pizza hut allergy information...

http://www.pizzahut.com/foodallergies.html

Based on their chart, we do not eat Pizza Hut

Offline Jessica

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. For a while the red sauce was a may contain for either peanuts or tree nuts. Then it wasn't. I can't keep it straight and for now, we aren't going to pizza hut. There are other unsafe things on their menu. Here's the current one and it looks like the pizza sauce is a may contain for tree nuts again and lots of other may contains for peanuts (and tree nuts):
http://www.pizzahut.com/foodallergies.html

eta: sorry-had the window open for too long doing other things and took me forever to post the same thing as the pp.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
The sauce for Pizza Hut has a warning for shellfish. Oddly.  Yet I have had three reactions to it and no longer eat PIzza Hut pizza. My PA DS eats it fine. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »
I eat Dominos, Little Ceaser, and some local places. I like the local places better.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin