Safe Maui Restaurants

Started by Nutternomore, December 17, 2011, 06:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutternomore

Hi all,

We're headed on vacation to Maui shortly.  Although we've got a condo and will eat in most of the time, we'd like to find a few safe options for dining while we're there.  We have a pretty tight comfort zone, so it really is helpful to get good recommendations for those who have had positive experiences.

At a minimum, we need to find a few casual teen-friendly spots (pizza, pasta, etc.), but we're also open to more upscale options.  I recall from many years ago (pre-kids) that Roy's should accommodate.

Appreciate any recommendations!

Dad to 2 teens
DS - 16, allergic to peanuts/tree nuts
DD - 13, allergic to tomatoes, broccoli, turkey (suspected)

luci

I'm sorry to reply so late since you're probably back from Maui already.  But I'll reply in case others want to read about some of our Maui experiences. I grew up in Hawaii and have relatives there but go back to visit yearly and we love Maui!

We've always stayed in Kihei because the condos are cheaper than hotel rooms in Wailea and Lahaina.  There is a McDonalds we go to.  They have (on certain days of the week) a Huli-huli chicken sale at bbq pits they set up in parking lots.  Huli-huli chicken is great with rice and vegetables, you can talk to the individual people, but the normal recipe is to take chicken halves and soak them in salt and pepper, then grill over kiawe (pronounced key-ah-vay, and also known as mesquite wood).  Absolutely delicious (also known as "some good" or "ono kine food" to locals).  For restaurants we always go to Longhi's at The Shops at Wailea. http://www.theshopsatwailea.com/directory/dining/  There is also a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse but we haven't had time to go there.  We always bring the laptop and our condo has wi-fi so we always call ahead.  Now this is really important to some members of our family so you might want to check with your group - there is a Krispy Kreme donuts in Kahului (near the airport).  We always stop there when we get in, and then just before we leave as they will usually let you take a dozen or so donuts on the plane.

If you do nothing else, check out Tasaka's Guri Guri stand in Kahului.  It is a little hole in the wall kind of place. A small shop that sells island style snacks as well as guriguri. The woman who works there has a son with peanut allergy so she is knowledgeable about the products.  The guri guri is peanut and nut safe (but check once you get there). They make it fresh every morning and it's sold out at the end of the day. Get the triple scoop for everyone so you can have 2 flavors and you won't have people crawling all over you to "share".   Then sit outside the shop on their little benches and watch the sunset behind the West Maui Mountains.  You can also go back into the store and buy pints to take back to the condo so you have some on hand. Also try the Maui Style potato chips - great to take to the beach. Truly a "happy place".  Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that guriguri is strawberry sherbet (they also have pineapple).

The other thing to look out for is the fresh island produce (think Kula strawberries,fresh sugar cane, pineapple, mangos, etc).  There are farmers markets, but you can get lots of local produce at the Star Market as opposed to the Safeway which is more mainland style and caters to the more haole taste.  I usually buy tons of fruit and clean it and put it in little baggies to take to the beach for snacks (perfect compliment to Maui chips).

I know it sounds like I'm food obsessed, but when you're there and out in the sun and fresh air all day, the all that fresh stuff tastes so good!

Hope you have a chance to try some of these suggestions!

Stinky6

We are heading there soon....will have condo but would love thoughts on safe options.

chase

Our family vacations in Hawaii yearly.  We stay on Maui or The Big Island.  My son is PA only, but he does not eat tree nuts either.  We have never needed to leave a restaurant due to peanuts/peanut oil etc.  You will see lots of macadamia nuts.
Maui Taco is super casual and it's wonderful. It is a chain and you will see lots of locations.  If you are staying near Lahaina you must try Okazuya & Deli in Honokowai.  It's in a strip center and is tiny, you will see a line of people out front.  It is a take away place.  Down the road @1/8 of a mile you can sit in a park on the water.  They have the most wonderful fresh fish and chicken teriyaki.  The food is better than most of the high priced restaurants, and you can't beat the water front view at the park :).  Kimo's in Lahaina is great, but the carrot muffins (served to the table in a bread basket) contain walnuts. Tommy Bahamas in Wailea is also good.  It's the only place my son has dessert.  They make their own Key Lime Pie and it's safe for PA. We ask the chef every year and it's always safe. Spago in Wailea is very good however it's also expensive.  The best Maui Chips are the brand *Kitchen Cooked*, they come in a clear bag.  You can not get them on the Main Land.  We always bring home a few bags. :)  A perfect picnic lunch is a Soybean butter and guava jelly sandwich, Maui chips and pineapple!  If you eat Soybean butter, pack it in your suitcase.  I have not been able to find it in Hawaii.
Any questions, just ask me, we love Hawaii.

Stinky6

wow!  thank you so much!!!  we will be in lahaina so all of this is spot on!]

any tips for the flight?  we are on hawaian airelines

pa only

chase

Let Hawaiian Airlines know about the allergy; at the time of booking AND when you board.  They will make an announcement after boarding asking passengers not to eat peanut products.  You don't even need to ask them, they just do it.  We bring our own food to eat on board.

How old are your kids?  If they are teens go to Flemings Beach for body surfing, it's @ 20 minutes from Lahaina towards Kapalua.  The waves can get large, so not really for the younger kids.

A must travel book is *Maui Revealed*  They are spot on with tips!  It gets updated yearly and it is not paid advertising.

If you go to Hana stop at the roadside business that sells Banana Bread (it's in the book), it's in front of a house.  The lady who bakes it (lives in the house) grandson has a peanut allergy! 

When do you go?  We will be on the Big Island for Thanksgiving.  This time of year is great, it's not as humid and the ocean is nice and warm.

Stinky6

We are going soon.    :thumbsup:

I was there in June with my mom and sister and am now taking my husband and son.   It was a hard choice btwn the big island as I know my 9yo (as of next week) would like the Wakeialo - dang I can't spell today - but the big resorty one with pools, monorail and swimming with the dolphins.....I've been there twice, but went for the more natural experience at Maui

I will pick up that book and have heard about the banana bread....not sure if we will go to hana or not, most likely - will certainly go up to Kapalua

We are staying about 1 mile north of the Black rock - so will hit many of the beaches...  :)

bred65

We've always remained in Maui because the apartments are less expensive than hotels in Wailea and Lahaina.  There is a McDonald's we go to.  They have a Huli-huli poultry buy at bbq sets they set up in vehicle parking plenty.

Stinky6

Well we made the right choice...Maui was awesome.  My 9yo loved the surf and we actually got some rough surf days so it was tons of fun.

We only ate out twice (I dont think my boy will want a ham and cheese sandwich for a long long time).  We ate out once at the restaraunt at the Diamon time share...Kaanapali Beach Resort.  They acted like they knew all about food allergies...but were a little short on details for me...he had a hamburger, fruit place and jello cup (his choice - they insisted the ice cream was safe) all went well.

The Best recommendation I have...and I got it from Chase in this thread as my phone died...in lahaina was Kimo's.  The manager came to our table 4 times.....asked questions, made recommendations, came back and made adjustments - the place was packed and he was so concerned and helpful it was a great meal for my son.  He even had dessert - a towering slice of ice cream pie that was awesome!!!  I had decided to let my son have the fries....and when the manager saw our ticket he came back to our table to let us know that mac nuts items went in the frier - (which is ok with me) but I told my son that when someone warns you like that...take it seriously...so he had the rice instead.

ON another note - we met a young man on a snorkeling trip who is allergic to Dairy - he ate at Duke's in Kaanapali and they put Feta in his fish taco even though that wasn't listed as an ingredient.  He had a reaction.  I'm not sure if he told the server or just asked about the ingredients....but we skipped Duke's this trip.

Lahaina - Kimo's!

chase

I'm so glad you liked Kimo's.  Good to know the ice cream pie was safe.  Did the rest of the family try the carrot muffins?  They are so yummy!!

Welcome home

Stinky6

Yes...the muffins and rolls were great...and the manager came to tell us that they do not make them there so they weren't sure of the safety....I didn't detect any nuts in the muffins...but didn't let ds eat them.

Anyway...thank you so much for the recomendations....

we had a geat time and I know that we could have eaten out more but were just as happy to grill at our condo...

after we spent the day at black rock - my husband rented this....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1212419/

not knowing....if you know Maui and Lahaina - check it out.  The first scene is a tsunami - you'll recognize the beach! 

Stinky6

Updating....Hawaiian Airlines will *NOT* make an announcement anymore.  Policy has changed.   They just nod and smile at you and tell you the policy has changed.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview