login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pizza  (Read 14671 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Pizza
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »
We pretty much stick with local (soy, egg, shellfish and nut allergies here), and we're pretty restricted there, as well.  There is only ONE place in town that we can all eat at safely on a consistent basis, (plus Papa Murphy's, last I checked, but we don't do that often because it is SO DANG SALTY...).

DH (soy) can eat at a lot of the local chains, but none of the national ones, but most of the local places also have a thai sauce or shrimp on the menu, which is highly risky for DD and I.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 07:05:58 AM »
We eat at local places and also have had luck at Papa Ginos.  Anyone else have luck with them?  Our local place has special procedures to make dairy-free pizza in the back.  Very nice there.  I have had luck with 3 others pizza places that are not big chains.  I think Not Your Average Joes in Ma also makes pizza and they are very allergy-friendly. 

Offline luci

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 12:54:40 AM »
Recently tried pizza from the Costco Deli. I was afraid to buy the take and bake pizza from Costco.  But was having a "pizza emergency" and bought a hot slice of pizza for myself.  It was so delicious (although I don't usually love pizza), that I was tempted to bring my son with pn/tn allergies to try it.  I talked to the kitchen staff and they said they didn't have pn/tn in the kitchen as raw ingredients.  There is an ice cream on a stick they sell there but it comes prepackaged and contained in individually sealed  wrappers.

I thought it was the same thing they sold in the coolers at the back of the warehouse but they said they make it in that concession area and put the dough, cheese, sauce, and toppings on right there.  So we tried it and it was a big hit and we didn't have any reactions - unlike our last experiences with Papa Murphy and Pizza Hut where we had rashes around the mouth and a very mild stomach upset.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 05:31:26 AM »
Luci, what all is your child allergic to?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline bleh

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 06:59:40 AM »
I thought it was the same thing they sold in the coolers at the back of the warehouse but they said they make it in that concession area and put the dough, cheese, sauce, and toppings on right there.  So we tried it and it was a big hit and we didn't have any reactions - unlike our last experiences with Papa Murphy and Pizza Hut where we had rashes around the mouth and a very mild stomach upset.

Yeah, Pizza Hut pizza isn't safe for nuts. For whatever reason the chicken and pizza sauce have a chance of contamination.

I've been feeding my daughter papa johns but she won't eat the sauce or cheese. Just the pepperoni and the crust. The allergen info hasn't been updated since 2010 though.
http://www.papajohns.com/menu/allergens.shtm
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
My daughter had hives after eating Papa John's pizza. No idea if that was the cause, but we've avoided it since then.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline luci too

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:06 AM »
Hi, it's luci.  I couldn't seem to log in again after my computer got "updated". 

Anyway, my child is anaphylactic to peanut, cashew, pistachio, walnut, and cephalosporins.  Also there are environmental allergies such as mite, trees, grasses, molds, cat, but those do not trigger anaphylaxis, although the mold last summer triggered an asthma flare.