imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Just back from ER... again  (Read 3768 times)

Description:

twinturbo

Just back from ER... again
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »
No known ingestion. No new foods. No known cross-contamination. But obviously something got in. Started off to library story time 10 minutes later go to take DS2 from car seat and there in all its glory, mouth streaking plus massive raised hives around mouth. Crammed some Benadryl in him immediately, no other symptoms at time then went 100 ft down road to paramedics who kicked into gear. They called a truck for us.

This is the fourth ER run for DS2 in 14 months. What's that averaging? Every 3 months or so? That's not even counting the near misses we wait out at home. At this point we're going to have to rely on Neocate because food introduction is nearly non-existent. I'd prefer he drink it rather than tube feed.

I'm contemplating a switch to a Boston allergist to get another look at this. We're at near CDC like contols for the minimal amounts of his allergens we do have in the house and STILL he's reacting.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Just back from ER... again
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
UGH!!  Glad you're both okay.   :grouphug:

I. hate. mystery. reactions.  HATE.  HATE. HATE.  A pox on them.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »
Those are the worst rxns. Just awful.

I hope everyone feels better soon. Good Luck trying to id what happened.  :heart:
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »
Thanks guys. Ironically, Zhen is bopping around just fine and we've reached the 4-hour window since first hives. Parents have yet to rally their resolve.  :-/

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
So sorry!  :grouphug:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
Oy, so sorry to read this.

Mystery reActions are the worst.  They shake you to the core.

Hugs to you all.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »
 :grouphug:

Mystery reactions are horrible. Glad for the fast response.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:26:23 PM »
Hope you figure out the cause.  I'd start keeping a food and symptom journal--time eaten, what eaten, time of any symptoms and what they were to help figure it out.  My son developed 3 new FAs in elementary school and it was tricky to figure out but we finally did and then no more mystery reactions that had been happening a lot before we figured it out!

twinturb0

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
Our journals taunt us.

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
I know the feeling all too well, unfortunately; I have a mental log of those "HUH??" reactions that stretches back over a decade and I still pull the puzzle pieces out once in a while...   :-/

TT-- be sure to take a look at my note to you re: logging back into your account.  If you want, you could sign up for a new account, I can PM you the password to the existing one, and then you/we/I can 'merge' the two accounts.

Offline joanna5

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »
Oh, that's horrible.  I would highly recommend getting into Children's if you can.  We were in a similar position when D was tiny- terrified to feed him because we had no idea what cause a reaction.  We had gone to a local allergist who was very highly recommended, but got advice that turned into an overnight ER stay.  Two weeks later, we were at Children's.  I left overwhelmed with the allergy list, but thrilled that we had answers and a doctor who I was confident knew what he was doing.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs