login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Navigating Work  (Read 5467 times)

Description: Lunch Meetings

Offline Ra3chel

Navigating Work
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »
This week, I'm going out of town for a day of Really Important Meetings with a mid-size creative studio. No further details, except: the day will include lunch.

This isn't a big thing--there'll be max ten people involved, probably fewer. I'm traveling down with one colleague.

How much info should I give / ask for in advance? Would sending something along these lines be okay?

Hi--you mentioned lunch as part of the meetings. I have some pretty ridiculous food allergies, so if you can keep me in the loop on planning that, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
-Ra3chel
The 3 is silent.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Navigating Work
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »
Hmmm.  It depends what your expectations are.  Do you want the food all safe for you to eat, or safe to be in the room, and what does that require? 

I am responding here, because I saw you mention it in another thread.  So, as a person without food allergies, but planning the food, I would want more information from you, if you are hoping to safely eat the food.   Your note would leave me wondering what I am expected to do.  KWIM?  That said, I am very direct, and prefer direct communication if there is something expected of me. 

How about something more direct(but not demanding, which I think you are concerned about).  Like:

"WRT lunch for the meetings, I have several food allergies.  Can I  discuss the possible options with you."  Or maybe ask to see the catering menu and contact?  Something that allows the person to truly respond with something helpful. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
I agree with Becca. I would just lay my allergies out, and ask if there is someone that you would be able to speak with. That way, it gives them something to respond to you with instead of just an "ok" with no further contact.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
I think I'd be inclined to just say:

"Could you please let me know what will be served for lunch?  I have food allergies and need to plan accordingly."

That way you open to door for them to ask how to accommodate you, but aren't forcing them.  If you find the food will be unsafe, just let them know you'll be packing your own - again, this may open the door for them to offer to make changes.  If it will be unsafe to be in the room (and they haven't offered), then I'd ask for changes to make it safe to attend.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
Yup.  What Rebekah said.

This way, if they plan to serve something that poses a contact risk, you can either ask for changes... or if it's too late, you can either be a LOT more proactive about hands/surfaces yourself, or worst case scenario, out yourself and make an apologetic request for people to wash hands after lunch. 

KWIM?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:45:34 PM »
Thanks, all.

I ended up going with

With regards to lunch--

I have pretty ridiculous food allergies. If we could touch base briefly about lunch plans before Wednesday, that would be great.

Sorry for the inconvenience. In the [stuff specific to meeting], it completely slipped my mind that I should have brought this up sooner.

Thanks,
Ra3chel

Because it's going to be complicated no matter how it goes--I have a long list of severe FA, mostly non-top-8; and a pretty tight comfort zone when I'm traveling--I wanted to open the conversation without implying that there would definitely be a way for them to accomodate me.

The response was really positive, so I followed up at more length, hitting the following points:

-What I'm allergic to.

-That I'm totally fine brown-bagging but know that can make other people uncomfortable and sometimes come off as rude, especially in business contexts; but that I also know I'm a pain to accommodate; and that, with both of those in mind, I'd like to go with whatever would work most smoothly for them and will absolutely not be offended or put out whichever way they go.

-Types of restaurants that usually, rarely, and pretty much never work for me.

-That if we do go out, I'll need to talk to the restaurant, ideally ahead of time since we'll be on a pretty tight schedule.

Fingers crossed!

ETA: They're being super cool about it. YAY!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:49:18 PM by Ra3chel »
The 3 is silent.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
 :thumbsup:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »
Oooo-- super-cool response  = AWESOME!

(less travel stress is also equally awesome.)

Hope you have a successful and low-stress trip!   :thumbsup:

Western U.S.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
I think that was perfect! Have a safe time!!

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »
Now I just have to figure out what to wear...  :P
The 3 is silent.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
<helpfully>

Clothing?    ;D

Then again; in at least one of the airports you'll be using, that is also "optional."

Western U.S.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
<helpfully>

Clothing?    ;D

Then again; in at least one of the airports you'll be using, that is also "optional."

Yeah, but I'll be going there directly from my frigid office. It'd probably be too much trouble to strip down en route.

Sometimes I really hate working in a "cool/creative" industry. Times like this, having a default uniform or even degree of formality would be awfully nice.
The 3 is silent.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
I liked your tack.  I find self-deprecation to the extent I can pull it off works well for me in work situations.  :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 12:14:49 PM »
Now I just have to figure out what to wear...  :P

I have had more issues picking an outfit than I do with dealing with the food sometimes.  :)

U.S.A.

~George Carlin

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »
How dit the food situation go, Ra3?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy