FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Our day of spt and rast and dermatologist UPDATE/ Our Fun with SPT#2 & ER  (Read 2967 times)

Description:

Offline GingerPye

DD and I were at clinics an hour away all day yesterday.  She had a dermatologist appointment in the morning and her allergy appointment in the afternoon.  She had both the skin test and blood test. 

Her skin test was kind of a disappointment.  They feel that she still had antihistamine in her system and so the results were much smaller.  Her control wheal was small, and that’s why they feel there still had to be some antihistamine left in her system that surpressed her reactions/wheals.  We had her off the hydroxyzine for over 3 days as told to do, so we didn’t do anything wrong.  We have to go back later this month to redo the skin test and to also add in the environmentals that they didn’t do yesterday.  They just did foods yesterday.  We will have her off the antihistamine for 7 days this time, to make sure there isn’t any left in her body.

On the bright side, she seems to be negative to all tree nuts.  We can go ahead and try those if the rast supports it and we can find some that are definitely not peanut-contaminated.
DD also may have a baked egg or baked milk challenge sometime in the future, if her blood test results support it. 

DD also saw the dermatologist for her eczema and we have a whole slew of new meds and lotions and shampoo to try.  I talked to her about how the only way this stuff will work is if she uses it, and uses it consistently (a problem at our house).  The dr felt that she had been doing a good job on her arms and legs, but her face and scalp need some attention.  She has rough, red patches all over her face and scalp.  Her icthyosis on arms and legs looks so much better -- she uses AmLactin there.

Unfortunately, despite my great efforts to get the blood test done at the lab before our allergy appointment so we could get back on the road right after the skin test (I couldn’t get it to happen despite talking with all kinds of staff members), we were at the lab at 4:30 with a line of people in front of us.  We didn’t get out until 5.   DD had an event at 6:00 an hour away --- she was late.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:45:07 PM by GingerPye »
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline MandCmama

Re: Our day of spt and rast and dermatologist
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
Hoping you get good news  :)
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »
Yesterday our allergist told us that in the past the thought has always been that in general if you did not outgrow an allergy during childhood, you were stuck with it for life; however, new research seems to indicate that people are outgrowing food allergies even in their twenties.  WooHoo! 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
That is really encouraging, GP!

BTW, we have always been told to discontinue antihistamine at least 7 days prior to testing.  I'm sorry you have to do it again!  :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
We've always been told 3 days on the hydroxyzine.  Going for 7 days off for this next round of spt.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
Okay, round 2 today for SPT.  DD's resulting wheals were huge --- being off the antihistamine for a full week really made a difference.  I'll have to remember that for the future  as it seems 3 days off is not long enough for my kids.

Results:
MILK  29/50   (Rast was 16.70/Class 3)
EGGS 22/60   (Rast was 20.30/class 4)
PEANUTS  27/55   (Rast was 16.00/class 3)

Discussed a food challenge to pecans in December.  She tests negative to pecans and walnuts.  Not sure she's going to like pecans, but we'll go for it.  Anyone know where to get PN/TN-free pecans?

^^^^^
And for added fun, we made a trip to the ER after the testing.  We finished up the testing; went for a late lunch at a place we've eaten at several times, and DD had lip swelling.  It swelled up pretty big.  :o  No other symptoms, but I was worried about taking her home, an hour away on the interstate, and having her suddenly develop a big reaction along the way.

Got to the ER with a full waiting room and they took her right in.  The two doctors there both had kids with FAs, so they took it pretty seriously, and said that even with the one symptom, they felt we did the right thing coming in to ER.    Filled her full of Benadryl and prednisone; we waited quite a while in the room and then 30 minutes out in the waiting room.  Then came home.  She slept all the way home and jumped right into bed. 

Doctors said it could have been due to the testing or due to cross-contamination at the restaurant. 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline GoingNuts

Oh, what fun!  You and DD really know how to have a good time.    ;)

:console:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online my3guys

Yikes, GP, that's a full day. Sorry about the ER trip, but good for you for going and I'm glad at least they treated it seriously.

Offline Mookie86

Positive news that she may have outgrown some allergies, but not the way to celebrate with the reaction!  I'm glad things turned out okay.

Offline MaryM

What a long day.  Sorry DD ended up at ER but glad she is ok.