FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Need information ASAP - MFA - having surgery soon  (Read 6174 times)

Description:

Offline spedmomof4

Need information ASAP - MFA - having surgery soon
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
My son is having surgery soon for his reflux. He has confirmed food allergies to: CORN, Wheat, Soy, Eggs as well as nuts of any kind and fish of every kind. His last surgery he ended up in the ICU and I suspect this may have been due to the IV fluids/anesthesia containing derivatives of what he is allergic to. He can't even tollerate hypoallergenic formulas made from hydrolized corn. Any ideas on what I can do to help him get through this, any corn free IV fluids to suggest to the medical professionals. He is tube fed, and only just found that he will tollerate organic pediasmart dairy (corn free, made from brown rice syrup rather than corn syrup).

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Need information ASAP - MFA - having surgery soon
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
You should double check with the anesthesiologist, but I know when DS was little there was one type of anesthesia or sedative he couldn't have due to either soy or egg - but I think it was soy. Also, the only IV fluids we found that were corn free were lactated ringers. Oh, and you'll want to get his after surgery meds compounded ahead of time so they can be made corn free - a compounding pharmacy should be able to make most meds as long as they're available in a generic form.

Good luck!  Hope he has a speedy recovery!!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »
DD has MFA and just had her wisdom teeth out.  There was a certain kind of anesthesia they could not use due to having egg in it.  Wish I'd asked what it was.  I was just glad they had an alternative.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »
Propofol has eggs in it - the docs went in and took it out of the operating room before my ankle surgery just so that they wouldn't use it by mistake.