FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Noodles & Co  (Read 6286 times)

Description:

Offline Penny

Noodles & Co
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »
I've eaten at Noodles & Co. before and remembered that they are allergy-friendly. I ate there this evening and they're really  allergy friendly!  They have an allergy menu and when my entree was rung up (it's an 'order at the counter' kind of place) the register readout said 'allergy aware'.  Before the cashier could continue ringing up the order, the manager had to swipe his card on the register....I guess to ensure that the manager knows that the order needs special attention.

Their website says they can't guarantee that food won't be cross-contaminated....but it works for me.

ETA:  Had to edit title manually after merging Bensmom's thread.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:16:25 PM by CMdeux »

Offline Mezzo

Re: Noodles & Co.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »
Do they keep yours separate, then? I've watched them drop stuff in the next container and reuse pans, and I've thought that my daughter could never eat there - although she would LOVE to. Is it something new they're doing?

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:19:26 AM »
the one here in Tucson that I tried to eat at (within the past year) was NOT safe by any means.  The pad thai noodles splattering everywhere freaked me out and when I asked about food from new stock --- they said they have no procedure for utensils while making food and very easily things splatter and cooking utensils are used in multiple dishes.

So yeah...

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
I was told by several people the one in St. Louis is aware but we never made it given DS1's reaction at a place that is so allergy aware (Outback).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »
Well, I have to brag a little (like this has anything to do with me, LOL).  Noodles was started by two guys from our metro area.  They were living out in Colorado when they started it and opened the first one in Boulder.  Soon after opened one here in their hometown.  We love it.   Both kids can get the Japanese pan noodles --- they know to order "allergy aware" and tell the cashier their allergens.  So, the cooks wash out their pans and use clean utensils when making the kids' orders.  I believe the kids can also have the ciabatta (sp?) bread, but they usually get filled up with the Japanese pan noodles.   We eat there a lot.  They know us there, lol.   :hiding:  So far, no problems.   :crossed:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:11:34 AM »
What about sesame xc?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »
They always ask us about sesame seeds, if we can or cannot have them.  We can; but I assume that since they are asking, they can not use sesame seeds.  That's all I know about it, however.  Don't know how well they would avoid sesame seeds.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »
Bump for GN

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 09:14:49 AM »
(copying this from other thread)  We eat there a lot.  Both kids have done fine there, but it's up to each family to decide whether it's going to work for them. 
FWIW, my DD goes there a lot with friends.  In fact, it was the place to go for the before-prom dinner a few years ago.  I would suggest going in or calling and talking to them about your DS's allergies, GN.  Going in, you can see what they do in person.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
Thanks everyone. It seems like just as with other chains, they vary tremendously.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

Noodles stub
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »

DS ate at Noodles and Company today. Not sure exactly what he had, but there are only 3 things listed that have peanuts and I'm sure he didn't eat any of those. There are about 5 things listed with tree nuts and again, I'll ask exactly what he had, but probably not those.

He said he felt nauseous after he ate. He's never reacted to x-contamination (except recently--more on that in a second) and he's never ever reacted with nausea. Could this have been a reaction? He thought it could be and took Benadryl. I didn't ask how long it took to feel better--I'll have to check on that, but he's at work now.

A little over a week ago, we ordered Chinese food when he wasn't home. The next day he wanted leftovers and I let him because he's had food from this place before--rarely, but maybe 3 times in the past 5 or 6 years--he's never reacted, and we were all home with him if anything went wrong. He said his lip was swelling a little (not enough to really tell by looking, but he could feel it) so I gave him benadryl and told him he's really not supposed to eat Chinese food and I only let him because of the above circumstances but really, he can't do that. I know--stupid. But we've always kind of gone by the laxest comfort zone as he got older and tighten up as necessary. We've never actually had to tighten up until now.

So, back to Noodles and Co--think that was a reaction? I'm assuming he would have mentioned if anyone else felt nauseated. I'll ask more tonight.

By the way, his reaction history: bump on lip after eating walnuts when he was 4. Itchy mouth with some fruit. Bump on lip from banana. Throat tight (that allergy cough) during oral challenge. Has never used epi.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:20:10 PM by BensMom »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Noodles stub
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:43 PM »
Wow-- yeah, worryingly, I'd say that sounds too much to be coincidence.  Sounds completely in keeping with his threshold being lower than expected at the moment, and catching him by surprise.

Is he PA, do you know?    Time to do some digging-- start by independently recording everything you remember about the events/activities/food in order to eliminate impossible connections.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
Yes. And actually, this would be ever so helpful in the Noodles & Co thread. Some folks go there. Others don't. DS wants to try it, but seeing this yikes.

Do you mind if we move it?  And CM's response.

And saying that, I'm not in a position to do it right now.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »
I can do it.  Bensmom?   Is that okay with you?
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
Yeah, that's fine. Where is that thread?

He is PA--that's what he had an oral challenge for. Reacted to a small amount, but prior to being diagnosed had regularly eaten granola bars containing peanut flour.

I was glad he recognized this as a potential reaction since he's never reacted that way and to be honest, I don't ever really recall talking to him about that particular symptom. He's eaten there before with no problem. Of course, that doesn't mean anything. And I was just thinking that most of the other times he had Chinese food, it was at a buffet at our temple and I always told the guy in charge to tell the restaurant to use clean pans--that there are nut and shellfish allergies in our congregation. And it was a buffet early in the day so the food was probably prepared before they even opened and before they'd prepared any other food that day.