FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Noodles & Co  (Read 6291 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Noodles & Co
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 06:08:44 PM »
My sense is that it depends on the particular restaurant--how they are with FAs.

Bensmom, I would really suspect a reaction.

I can't remember--is he good about carrying Epis? Does he carry the AuviQs? My DS loves them. The print rubs off, so well put clear contact paper over the instructions.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline BensMom

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
He always carries two epis and benadryl. The quick-melt ones weren't really working (kept getting crushed) so now he has liquid capsules. Just seemed like they'd absorb faster, but I don't know.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
He had Pasta Fresca which is fine ingredient-wise. No allergy aware signs that he saw and he didn't mention his allergy. I told him he shouldn't eat there anymore.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 10:52:12 PM »
It seems awfully worrying that he's had two such incidents in such a short period of time, though-- and without taking more risks than usual.

That might indicate a threshold shift.  Wow, what horrible timing, too, with him being about to go to college.  Have you talked to him about that possibility?  This is so concerning for ME, and he's not even my kid, Bensmom... it's just that so many young men who wind up being news items have this kind of pattern-- where management was stable and safe for well, pretty much forever-- and shifted under them without much warning in their late teens.

:-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 12:24:18 AM »
And that is why I think you should look into the AuviQ (there's a coupon that may help).  You'll need a script for it. It's so much easier for boys to carry two Auvis than two Epis.  We still use Epis everywhere else--just not in DS' pockets 99% of the time.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 07:40:30 AM »
Oy, I have tried to instill in DS the need to mention his allergies even when he is certain there is no need to - because without that, there's no telling how his food is handled (though let's be honest, there's never any telling how your food is handled when you eat out).

This scares me too.  When I try to talk to DS about this he glibly tells me to "check the scoreboard", meaning he hasn't had a reaction since he was 10.  I counter by telling him about Brian Hom and others.  He looks at me like I'm an alien.

This terrifies me.

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:18 AM »
Yeah, it worries me too.

Might have to try the auvi-q. One thing that I like about the epis is that he has them in a carrying pouch marked as an allergy med pouch. He can fit some benadryl and even jam his inhaler in there and it's visible to others. He doesn't seem to mind it.

There must be a thread somewhere about various ways kids carry meds. Can someone point me there? Seems like he could fit one auvi-q in his pocket, like a wallet, but not two, and where would he put the benadryl? Hmmm.....

Mac, what do you mean you use epis everywhere else--when does your son carry epis vs auvis?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 08:52:43 AM »
He carries Auvis in his pocket. He hasn't liked having a pouch for a number of years. So if that's working for your DS and you think he will continue to be food in college maybe stick with that. But the Auvis work better for my DS. They Aren't noticeable in his suit coat for speech or in his jeans pocket.

The critical thing is making sure they don't get washed. :)

We use Epis at school (though all staff has had Auvi training, too). And I keep Epis in my purse (for me or for DS). He also has an Epi in his backpack.

And when he flew last week on his own he had two other Epi kits with him with two epis each--and he have those to teachers once he saw them at the hotel.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 07:30:20 AM »
Yeah, I can see it going through the wash. I may ask ds if he's interested in this. Sometimes he has an epi in his backpack and not clipped on. It would be nice if he had one in his pocket. Still trying to figure out how to carry the benadryl and inhaler without an epi case.