FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Kale?  (Read 15736 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Kale?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Yeah, that is what I did, but no preboiling. 

Adrienne, last kale I had, was that bag from TJ's.  I am sure I did not trim it.  Maybe too many stems were my problem, but I forget.  I have tried it a few times(sauteed) from various sources.  Maybe my best bet is the chips and slipping some into a smoothie!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline nameless

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
yeah - I was kinda pissed at the Trader Joes bag of kale...I won't buy it again. Hello --- TRIM THE STEM!!! the whole middle thick part going up the leaf needs to be removed before eating!

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 09:56:07 PM »
I'm guessing that one could use frozen kale for this one, but we usually use kale in the following:

Portugese kale soup (linguica/white beans, garlic, stock, potato chunks, and LOTS of kale...)

Kale Calzone-- like a great big kale turnover, filled with finely chopped kale, ricotta (or cottage cheese if you're cheap like us), a little mozzarella, sweet onions, and mushrooms (or not, if you're feeding DD).  This is SO yummy.

Yeah, took one look at the TJ's bagged kale and said...Uhhhhhhh, NO.  Kale stems are good for rabbits.  Not peoples.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
I just chew the stems - when I make the chips

I've never seen ffrozen....I would throw it in a fritatatatatatataa

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Save the frittatas! 

Sorry--couldn't resist.

Floppy adores the entire kale leaf, but kale is a "sometimes food" for him, because the calcium is bad for his little bunny kidneys (he's in renal failure).  We used to give it to him one week on, two weeks off and now it's once a month or less.  It is bunny crack. And cheap, to boot!

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
Just thought I'd post a pic of dinner tonight. 

DH sauteed some leeks and hmmmm something else.  Then he eventually added the kale. And to that some white balsamic vinegar and a little bit of brown sugar.  Really yummy, but I wish he'd cooked the kale longer. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:14:24 PM by Macabre »

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
Kale
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
Does anyone here use kale?  I've been told you can add it to virtually any foods because it absorbs the taste from other foods and then it won't taste like Kale.. (which is what I need for my kids and I!)
(Not sure if I posted this in the correct location)
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Kale
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »
We use fresh and frozen kale all of the time (PictSweet)

I use it in chicken soup, veggie soup, etc.  I saute it with onions, onions or bacon (to cheat, I will just slop bacon drippings in there).  It's great with malt vinegar or apple cider (we don't have malt in the house because DH has goofed and contaminated DS1's food several times but that is a gluten issue, not nuts) or hot sauce. 

Word to the wise about the fresh kale.  Glory does a great job of washing, but I do a quick rinse anyway.  If you are buying fresh, unpackaged kale, wash, wash, and wash again.  Like many greens, it is sandy.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »
I use fresh. Not a snob just too lazy to find it frozen. I usually use it in soups, and now for curry adding at the last minute before I eat or serve it. I like beet greens and mustard greens sauteed but not kale for some reason.

Offline Scout

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »
my kids will eat it every day if I do this.

sauté a little garlic in olive oil, sun dried tomatoes if you like them.

add kale and some broth, cover to steam....

the love it.....love it.

twinturbo

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
Virtually any green veggie we cook is sautéed in garlic or ginger with oil with a pinch of salt. I know OP wants to disguise the taste but I think once you try a stronger green with some garlic and salt you'd grow to really love the taste.

There's also the ubiquitous yuppie badge of foodism, The Kale Chip. Having grown up with nori sheets for snacking I find kale chips overrated but to each his own.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:33:19 PM by twinturbo »

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 08:49:43 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas!!!  A friend of mine gave me kale "chips" recipe... I need to try all of these. :yes:
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline krasota

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
We eat it all the time.  But it always tastes like kale.  That's fine, we love kale.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »
Awe these kale threads.  In fact maybe we should merge this thread with the first one.

Kale?

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/16288/start/1

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »
Got this in my email this morning.  I must be in the mood for kale soup after becca posted her recipe...here are some more recipes with kale.  The grilled cheese with caramelized onions and kale sounded particularly good also.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/kale-recipes-00412000074204/?iid=newsletter-ck-020514&PromKey=XET