WWYD running a sports event

Started by catelyn, March 22, 2013, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catelyn

We are running a sports event this weekend.  We have a VERY separate room for food which we are selling (on a different floor of the building).

This aft, a child about 9 or 10 comes up to me and asks to buy food.  Said child then proceeds to say they have anaphylaxis to an unkown food.  DH asks if they have an epi pen and child says yes but its not on their person.  Child is very clear that their throat can close but is also very clear that they don't know from what.  One of the parents CLEARLY has know idea what the kid means.  DH and I tried to politely tell the child that our food was not safe. 

Our DD was not there so we did not have her epi. 

spacecanada

I think you handled that situation very well.  Checking for Epi and telling the child your food would be unsafe seems very reasonable and responsible to me.  I would have done the same.  Where was this kid's parent(s)?  I wouldn't send a kid with unknown food allergies, a history of anaphylaxis, and no Epi on their person up to buy food from a concession...
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

catelyn

No idea where the parents were. 

The child had money so one can only assume that was given to him by the parents. 

SilverLining

lways kind of surprises me.

When I've been in grocery stores and they have a table set up to taste foods, they will not give to a child u less an adult is there to say it's OK.  But, at schools and other fund raisers, kids get complete control, whether free or paid for.

One day they will be sued and maybe that will change.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview