FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Symptom Question  (Read 2999 times)

Description:

forvictoria

Symptom Question
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
HI,
Since I was diagnosed with a shellfish allergy in October, I had somehting happen two times and I am not sure if this is a reaction or something unrelated.

A Little while after eating I started to feel a heartbeat pulsating under the tip of my tongue. I never felt this sensation before, but it has happened to me twice since October, the second time was Sunday morning after breakfast.  I had nothing with shellfish or fish each time. Sunday I had some OJ and half a roll.

Does anyone know if this is an allergic reaction or something totally unrelated?

Thank you

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Symptom Question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »
That's not something I've ever heard about WRT food allergy symptoms.  From your description, it sounds similar to when you get a little muscle tic/twitch in an eyelid or something.  I'd probably chalk it up as nothing other than weird and/or annoying unless you have other symptoms or reason to believe it's something serious.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

forvictoria

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
Thank you, it isn't a twitch like you get by your eye or lip it is a defintely pulsating beating like a heart beat, but so glad to hear you do not feel it is related to any kind of allergic reaction. And so far no other symptoms occur when that happens. I never experienced it before until after I developed the shellfish allergy, so I was real concerned.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:01:55 PM by forvictoria »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
I've also never heard of that as an allergy symptom.

I never experienced it before until after I developed the shellfish allergy, so I was real concerned.

I also developed allergies as an adult.  I recall that the first few years I was hyper-aware of anything happening within my own body.  In one sense that is absolutely necessary because I need to know if I'm reacting to something ASAP.

forvictoria

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
Thank you silver lining. That is exactly what I am going through, it is completely nerve racking when I feel something I usually don't. I am frightened most of the time fearing the worst even if I am eating something totally unrelated to my allergen (shellfish) I feel so sad that at 60 years old when I have more years behind me than ahead of me I live in cosntant fear now.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »
These days, I don't go through that nearly as much.  Of course, I am still more aware of what's happening within my body, but things don't make me panic.  when I'm travelling, or eating food anyone else has prepared (very rare) I pay closer attention.  When in doubt, I take benedryl.  But, I can't actually remember the last time I took it. 

Suddenly finding out food you used to eat (even love) has turned against you....kind of feels like being slapped in the face, doesn't it?  or maybe that's just me!  But it does become easier.