DS Survived Camping Trip

Started by Greenlady, August 02, 2012, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenlady

Hello all - it's been a while since I posted, but I just wanted to share my relief with those that I know would understand.  DS (age 13, PA) just came back safely from a 75-mile canoe/hiking trip in the Maine wilderness.   He had five epipens and an evaculation plan in case of a reaction, but all went well.  Although ironically enough, one of his fellow campers did find out that he had an previous unidentified allergy to peas (mild reaction, stopped by benedryl).

GoingNuts

Welcome back!

That's great news.  Can I Ask what he used for nonperishable food?  What are his allergens?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Greenlady

Thanks!  He's just allergic to peanuts.  They ate mainly rice and beans but they had some other dried foods- peas and pasta and chicken and jerky.  They also did some fishing and digging for mussels.

CMdeux

That's fantastic to hear, Greenlady.

(It's also really, really wonderful to see you.   :heart:  )
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GoingNuts

Good to know.

DS's college has an optional 4 day wilderness trip before school starts as a "get to know you/bonding" experience.  He declined to go on it, because he knew food would be an issue and he didn't want his first introductions to everyone to be about the food - trail mix, PB&J, etc.

Plus, his idea of roughing it is a Hampton Inn.  ;)
N.E. US

rebekahc

:bye:

It's always so nice to hear when things work out and I know it's a big relief for you!  :yes:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Mookie86

Nice to hear from you!  Great news that the camping trip went well.  It sounds like quite the experience!

Mfamom

Quote from: CMdeux on August 02, 2012, 10:39:53 PM
That's fantastic to hear, Greenlady.

(It's also really, really wonderful to see you.   :heart:  )

happy to see you
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Greenlady

Quote from: GoingNuts on August 03, 2012, 08:12:51 AM
Good to know.

DS's college has an optional 4 day wilderness trip before school starts as a "get to know you/bonding" experience.  He declined to go on it, because he knew food would be an issue and he didn't want his first introductions to everyone to be about the food - trail mix, PB&J, etc.

Plus, his idea of roughing it is a Hampton Inn.  ;)

Yeah, it really helped that DS was camping with a group he's been with for a couple of years.  They are used to helping him look out for his allergies.  That was part of the reason I was okay with him going. 

Funny that he's turned into such a wilderness buff - he certainly didn't get it from either DH or me!

GoingNuts

I hear ya Greenlady.  DS had been going on an annual trip with his school where they stayed at a YMCA camp and did lots of wilderness and team building exercises.  Many of those kids knew him since they were 3 years old, and are super-protective of him.  Not to mention that one of his buddies has the same allergies that he does, so that helped too.  And kudos to the staff @ the camp, they totally got it too.  After the first year I was really able to relax about the trip.

I'm terrified of him leaving this protective cocoon he's been in.  When I read of the experiences that others have, it makes me cry.  We've had nothing but positive experiences here wrt FA's.
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview