Peanut Allergy and Migraines?

Started by Penny, August 07, 2013, 10:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny

My granddaughter just turned 13. She's been getting migraines for the past year or two (as does her dad) but she's had a rash of them for the last week or two. My son noticed that they started when they bought a large box of peanut granola bars at Costco - and she's been eating them daily. Suspicious that there might be a link, he told her not to eat any for a while - and the migraines stopped. Today he OK'd her having another and within half an hour she said her stomach felt 'weird'.

All three kids had eczema, one of the kids has asthma and my son also has eczema plus their mom's father is walnut allergic/asthmatic.  And me - peanuts/asthma.  So we know they're the classic atopic family. 

DS has told her not to eat any more peanuts for now. I'm suspicious that the migraines are hormonal but I know there's also a link to food intolerance...and the weird stomach makes me nervous. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

CMdeux

Could be something else in the bars which is acting as a migraine trigger, too.

I'd tend to think probably the migraines aren't allergy related, but I suppose it's possible.

The stomach is probably related to the headache, though.   :grouphug:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

PurpleCat

MSG - which triggers my migraines can be found in granola bars.  Maybe that's your culprit.  If you do a Google search you'll find some of the other names for MSG.  For me, I discovered this years ago and I can not remember which granola bar I stopped eating.  It took me a long time to guess that one!

So, maybe?

Penny

Thanks for the replies.  :)  DS has told her not to eat any more of the granola bars or peanutty stuff for a while - then she'll have a bite of two of one and see if she gets a migraine. 

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview