imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)  (Read 45302 times)

Description: ON THE MARKET NOW!!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »
We'll use EpiPens for school and in my purse.  But we'll have these for DS to carry around. What Mfamom said in her first post. And what Tabi said. This will make a HUGE difference for DS who will not use any kind of belt anymore. Period.  He carries them in a drawstring bag or in his pocket if he's going out with friends.  Or to camp.  So another thing in his pocket won't bother me any more than it does now.  And I will feel better about his having it with him all the time.

This will be a huge deal.  He was thrilled when I told him today and said, "When will be available?" 

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
I keep wondering about the cost....with the voice directions, the light etc.

Also, the strength of it.  If it's in a back pocket, is it strong enough to withstand the abuse it will take.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
I keep wondering about the cost....with the voice directions, the light etc.

That stuff is super-cheap, honestly.  If they can put it in a $4 greeting card or a cat toy, I think that it won't increase costs much here, either.  ;)  KWIM?

Ruggedness, I worry about.  Yes.

DD would love to have a device that is smaller and lighter.    :yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
that's true, cmdeux.  was thinking about that after I posted. 
couldn't come at a better time though.  I had to give huge push at HS to let him carry a drawstring bag...no "backpacks" allowed. 

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »
Very welcome news - can't wait to tell DS about it!  I'm curious about his response.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
I think that it would be great for our camp counselors.  We send epis on all of our wilderness trips, in case of an undiagnosed allergy, and you could tell some of the counselors were not terribly comfortable during the epi training that I did...

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »
I have been searching to find out how much the new audio-Q will cost. I have not found that, but according to this article, it will not be available prior to November 15. http://www.equities.com/news/headline-story?dt=2012-08-14&val=376070&cat=hcare

Also, it explains the name auvi-Q.  "Audio Visual Cues"

hopechp

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »
This will save lives.  The epipen size is a problem for men especially. (women carry purses). My BIL developed that tick-meat allergy and does not carry Epi because of the awkward size - it does not work for him on his many business luncheons.  This is great.

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »
Man, we just bought 5 sets of epipens to the tune of a bazillion dollars.  Maybe next year for us.  Those look great.  I love that they're smaller.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
I sure would like the smaller versions for carrying the back up epi's in my purse!!  I use pretty small purse, so would be bonus.

My son (13) is salivating for these to make it into his hands.

I think he is dreaming of moving, entering new high school in new district, and NEVER having to wear a bleeping pack with meds in it again!  (TYVM fellow-students-bullies for past 3 schools!!)

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Momcat

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Offline brownie

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
Hmmm...wondering how much smaller it really is.  It seems doubtful you could put it in your back pocket and not destroy it by sitting on it 

Also I wouldn't want ds to lose it but it would be great to eliminate the fanny pack at 12 years old.  ds just lost his cell phone this past week.  Of course that he takes out to use and may have set it down, but if it's in your pocket it can pop out, fall out, get laundered (I've done that one with cell phones).  How do you make sure it is part of your body when you leave the house if it's not something you put on?I've spent 8 years training the boys to be part of their bodies.  Leaving the house without the epi should feel like leaving the house without your shoes.  Of course that concept only worked until the day ds left the house without his shoes :-/  Now I have to say it should be like leaving the house without your head attached to your shoulders :)

A key chain would be great for those of driving age...can't leave the house without your keys so you won't forget it and it becomes almost too bulky to lose.  Maybe if it is successful it will encourage Dey to make their epi smaller.  This new one also has the advantage of not looking like a HUGE hypodermic needle due to its shape.  Maybe while they are giving instructions they should play some soothing music in the background too :)

Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
Unrelated,but I'm on my.phone and acidentlyr clicked report to modorater on Iowamoms comment!! Sorry!! My phone and I have issues.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline IowaMom

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
Ha! That's funny. No worries :thumbsup:
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »
Uh-oh, Iowamom--looks like she's on to you!  ;)
The 3 is silent.