FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: E95 Basic Food Panel  (Read 11753 times)

Description: How reliable is the E95 Basic Food Panel

Offline directrpep

E95 Basic Food Panel
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »
Hello everyone,
New to the forum.

I have some questions regarding an E95 Basic Food Panel that a biomedical doctor recommended.  It came back stating that I was allergic to all types of dairy.  this wasn't a surprise because I would get massive pains whenever I did eat or drink it.
The shock was the Gluten and the Wheat.  But, I am wondering if because it is in the high Moderate portion that this isn't something i should be overly concerned about or food that I should completely avoid.  For Gluten, i am at 353 (range for Moderate is 115-363).  For Wheat it is 312 (Moderate is 171-528). 

She recommended that I completely cut out dairy, gluten, etc.  I was just curious about other people's thoughts and experiences. I can't help but feel that this is a bit excessive?  I am not in the avoid realm. And I don't recall having any stomach issues when I do eat gluten.  Just the dairy.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: E95 Basic Food Panel
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:22:36 AM »
Your dairy issues sound less like an allergy, more like a lactose intolerance from what you are describing.  Mine comes and goes and I know I have to be careful about certain things at certain points of my life.  So yes, if it makes you feel bad (allergy or not), avoid.

Now onto the gluten/wheat.  Many medical professionals find that particular test unreliable because it's not testing for a true allergenic component.  But at the same time, regardless of being allergy/Celiac negative, some people feel better if they avoid gluten altogether.

Can I ask what brought you into allergy testing to begin with?  The current rule of thumb is not to do broad spectrum allergy testing on vague symptoms but to pinpoint specific items through food journals or past reactions.  It's very easy for the drs to tell us to avoid this, this and this but if we are not having symptoms by having one of those items then it makes life much harder than it needs to be, kwim?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline directrpep

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
hi,

thanks for the reply.  Basically, I went to the doctor because I felt like something was wrong. I was gaining weight without much change in diet (25 pounds in about a year).  I didn't know if it was a thyroid issue or something else.  My ANA tests had come out positive a couple of times before, but did't know if that had anything to do with it.
The biomedical doc suggested that i remove all dairy, gluten and cassein from my diet.  It was very hard.  I also started taking A LOT of pills.  Not medication, but things like mediclay, probiotics, iodine, etc etc etc.  It was a lot. 
I never saw a difference really. Nothing that was really noticeable.  After awhile i stopped the pills (taking 30 a day was way too much).  I was still gaining weight.
Finally introduced gluten back in and nothing really changed there either. 
I made my own assessment at the end. That it is stress related (the weight gain).  I own a company and i have A LOT of stress. 36 years old now (saw her when i was 34).
I just didn't know if I should stop gluten again without seeing any bad signs.  The E95 said i was moderate so i was curious.  Thought I woudl ask on this forum. :)

Thanks!!

Offline Doug

• Commercial Member
    • Gluten Allergy
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
Allergy tests tend to be inaccurate.  In one way you can almost ignore them, but they do provide a good guide.

For example, it sounds like you are lactose intolerant.  If that is the only problem, then you can eat old cheese, yoghourt etc. and a whole lot more if you take an enzyme pill.  But if you're allergic as well, then you just have to avoid all dairy.  You may be OK with goat milk (some types of feta cheese, specialty yoghourt etc.)

What/gluten allergy is more common than most people think. 

In both cases, the only way to be sure that a specific food is a problem is to go on an Elimination Diet.  Be sure to take a lactase enzyme pill will all dairy products (just to be on the safe side) so you don't suffer from indigestion and don't eat too much dairy per day.

Link removed by Admin - your email address is the same site as your link therefore you are a Commercial member and must post as such.  Please read the Terms of Service and Please Read RULES Before Posting in this Section Commercial posting rules
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:51:10 PM by admin rebekahc »
Gluten free is more fun than you think!

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
The problems arising from conflating intolerance with allergy are many and dangerous.