FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Rxn to milky way caramel  (Read 5801 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

Rxn to milky way caramel
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
Traveling. On my phone.ds11 said his candy bar tasted funny. Checked the wrapper. Peanut d warning. Somehow I missed it. first mistake in 10 years. Benadryl took b care of it so far.2hrs from home.monit Ioring more later
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Re: Rxn to milky way caramel
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Oh no,  I hope he is ok. This is the simply caramel?  I didn't even check the label last time because they have always been safe, and yes I know that is wrong.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline chase

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »
Another treat bites the dust.......
On FAAN's ingred. page it was listed that as of 5/2012 the label would include Peanut.  Due to different sizes blah blah blah!  :(

Offline brownie

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
OK so we are safely back home.  We were on the road.  I gave the boys each a simply caramel milky way I had purchased as a treat for the trip.  Fairly certain I checked the label.  I think what happened is that I saw what I expected to see, you know?  The egg label was still there, I saw it and moved on.  We have not had a definite rxn in 10 years. 

THANKFULLY, my ds9 didn't eat his chocolate bar right away and then I pulled it off of him for 10 minutes as a punishment.  His peanut numbers are 20x higher than ds11's...off the RAST chart.  I don't think he would have been aware of his symptoms, the taste, the sensation...and he would have panicked and it would have been much much worse, esp if I had two sick kids to deal with in the middle of nowhere.

DS11 gobbled his down and then said the last bite didn't taste right.  What do you mean?  After a few questions, I grabbed the uneaten bar and checked.  OMG!  it says peanut.  We pull off the interstate into a hotel parking lot.  He takes 4 kids benadryl stips (he is 115 lbs and 5'5").  His stomach feels funny, briefly complained that his throat felt odd.  After 15 minutes of no change either way, we found a hospital 20minutes up the road basically on our route.  We headed to the ER and walked the sidewalk there for another 20 minutes.  At this point it's nearly an hour, the benadryl has kicked in and he's feeling 99% so we headed toward home.

He was exhausted when we got home...hopefully the benadryl...but now he's eaten and feeling good.  It's been 4.5 hrs so I think we're in the clear.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »
Oh good God. So instead of more varieties being safe like we'd hoped, less will be. So freakin' typical. I'll have to be sure to find as many unmarked bars as possible and buy them now before they aren't around anymore. This is one bar dd always mentions when people ask her what she can have.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
Just told dh the same thing about buying up old ones. I haven't he the heart to tell ds yet,  he is gonna be pissed
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline candyguru

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »
Just told dh the same thing about buying up old ones. I haven't he the heart to tell ds yet,  he is gonna be pissed

Brownie:  Hope your ds is fine.  Scary experience!

Momma2boys... I know you live somewhere not too far from the border, so if you get desperate, the Mars Caramel bar (with the peanut-free logo) is available here, and it is very similar to the Milky Way Caramel. So that is an option for your ds.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 12:50:29 AM »
I hope your DS is feeling better.  :heart:

This pisses ME off as well.  Are the Simply Caramel Promises still ok?
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »

qft
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »
so sorry about this reaction!  I'm glad your ds is okay.  Also, thanks for sharing with us.  I do read labels of stuff we normally buy, but so easy to miss when you're used to it being okay...
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »
Thanks for telling us and sorry for the reaction.  I could totally make that mistake!  And my dd, 12, definately assumes things are safe and says, "I have had this before."  I just told her and it is a good reminder to be more careful when I buy familiar products.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline brownie

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
Should have mentioned that the one we purchased was the twin pack - 2 pieces sold at checkout.  DH was at the store and saw the regular size with a safe label.  I realize it will take time for the stock to turn over, but I read the FAAN warning and I am wondering if all sizes are going to get the warning or just some?  Oh well.  I learned my lesson....it's just hard to develop the habit to read the label EVERY time when this is the first label on an approved food that we've found change to unsafe in 10 years!  I check most labels most of the time.  I have noted companies change ownership and checked on them, just not a peanut warning where there was none before.
Brownie

Offline maeve

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »
Unfortunately, you really do have to check every label every time and for different sizes.  I'm sorry your son had a reaction.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
I bought some of the share size double packs today with only an egg warning
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Elliana

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »
I bought some of the share size double packs today with only an egg warning

Yes, we just had one last week without a warning as well.
PN/TN allergic
USA