Need quick input re letter to principal

Started by joanna5, August 21, 2012, 12:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanna5

We just moved so we're dealing with a new school that also just got a new principal.  I've spoken with her twice and am concerned as she expressed reservations about accommodations that would affect other students "like washing their hands".   :rant: She has also said a few times that many decisions are out of her hands and are subject to the central office policies.  Ummm.... actually, no, because that would mean that certain accommodations are off the table before we even meet. 

So, now that we have a meeting set up (one that I'm driving home early from our vacation to make), I want to broach that subject.  Here's my quick draft.  My brain is hopelessly muddled, though, as the baby is currently waking up for the day between 4:45 and 5:15 every.freaking.day, so I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Mrs. Principal,

I appreciated speaking with you yesterday and am writing to confirm our meeting regarding Super Awesome Kid's 504 Plan on meeting date at 11:00 am. 

You have mentioned several times that you will be constrained by the standard central office policies when discussing individual accommodations for D.  This is concerning because, as you know, a 504 meeting is focused not just on codifying the existing policies, but also on making any necessary individual accommodations to those policies in order to ensure the safety and inclusion of a student with a disability.  Given the constraints you have described, I think it is important that there be someone present from the central office who is able to discuss any exceptions to those policies that may prove to be necessary for D. 

Thank you, and I look forward to meeting with you on the (meeting date). 

Me
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

ajasfolks2

So, you already have the 504 designation agreed upon, right?

This meeting is to work on the written 504 Plan of Accommodations, right?

Sounds like principal is not well-versed in the rules and procedures for 504 and you need someone from their SPED/504 dept to be there.

Are you recording the meeting? 

As to your letter, I'd simplify it perhaps to this:

Mrs. Principal,

I appreciated speaking with you yesterday and am writing to confirm our meeting regarding Super Awesome Kid's 504 Plan on meeting date at 11:00 am. 

You have mentioned several times that you will be constrained by the standard central office policies when discussing individual accommodations for D.  This is concerning because, as you know, a 504 meeting is focused not just on codifying the existing policies, but also on making any necessary individual accommodations to those policies in order to ensure the safety and inclusion of a student with a disability.  Given the constraints you have described,
I think it is important that We believe that there should be someone present with 504 expertise from the school district central office who is able to discuss any exceptions to those policies that may prove to be necessary for D assist the 504 team and process. 

Thank you, and I look forward to meeting with you on the (meeting date). 

Now . . . if what you really wanted to do with that letter was to also document that the principal has been discussing accommodations (and limitations) outside of the 504 process, then go back to more of what you originally wrote.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

joanna5

D had a 504 in his old school and they've agreed that he qualifies for one at the new school so yes, it's basically to work out accommodations. I think I'm looking to do both, to some degree.  I want to be very sure that someone will be there or else I fear our meeting will turn into her repeating over and over that she has to work within the central office guidelines, kwim? 

Thanks for your feedback!

CMdeux

I'd stick with documentation. 
Yes, simple is better, but I prefer to hold someone's feet to the fire right from the beginning if it appears that 'spineless' is going to be a great descriptor.
:-/

It's still short and sweet.  Very nicely done.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

joanna5

It's been sent and, hopefully, I'll hear back soon.  I'll keep you guys posted. 

Thanks for the feedback.

joanna5

I got a reply:

Thank you for confirming our meeting. I am sorry you misunderstood our
conversation. That was not what I meant at all. We will be following 504
regulations, as we collaboratively formulate your child's plan. I conveyed
your request to the central office.

So, she at least knows the law.  Hopefully, now that she knows I know it, we'll be in better shape.  Ugh.  I hate starting off in a new school like this, though.

CMdeux

Any updates?

I've been thinking about this lately and wondering if you've had that follow-up meeting yet.

Western U.S.

joanna5

Thanks for checking in.  :)  We just had our meeting this morning and it went really well.  They acknowledged immediately that he qualifies and we moved onto accommodations.  Overall, I got the major things we wanted- hand washing, food free birthdays (school has this as policy currently, but now it's in the plan), no allergens in lessons or as rewards, etc.  I wish some of the wording was stronger (i.e. students will wash hands, rather than students will be encouraged to wash hands as part of the classroom routine), but overall I'm pleased.  They agreed to let him self carry, which is a first for them and a hill I was prepared to die on. 

The only thing we are still working on is the bus.  The current protocol is that the driver pulls over and calls 911- this is what the contract with the bus company stipulates.  The principal alluded to a plan she's working on- I suspect it will be an aide on the bus- but said she needs a letter from our allergist stating explicitly that, in the event of a reaction, the Epi needs to be given immediately, rather than waiting for EMS to arrive.  I'm trying to get in touch with our doctor now to see what he can do.  I suspect that I'll end up driving D for the first week or so while we get things in place, but actually am optimistic that he will be riding the bus this year.

I also got to meet D's teacher and love her.  She's young and super sweet and he will think the sun rises and sets with her within a week.  She asked good questions, too, and said that she'll probably email me this weekend as others come up. 

I'm much more hopeful than I was last week- I spent all morning with my stomach in knots, but am starting to relax.  Thanks again for asking.

CMdeux

What a great outcome so far!  I'm really happy that you feel so hopeful and that there are a lot of solid accommodations in place as he starts out.   :yes:

Western U.S.

joanna5

Just to further update, I felt like we were playing the old kids' game of Telephone when leaving messages for our allergist on Thursday and Friday.  I finally emailed our allergist directly this  morning and head back 20 mins later that he's going to dictate it and have it sent out this week.  Faxing would be faster, but I prefer to have things go through us.  So, I dropped him off for his first day today and will continue to do so for a week or two, but hopefully then he'll be on the bus!

joanna5

And to further update... We got the letter from our allergist today and it's perfect.  Very clear and concise. D needs his Epi immediately due to the significant risk of life threatening anaphylaxis.  He also states explicitly that this applies across all school settings including the school bus, field trips and sports activities. 

I dropped off a copy this afternoon and will follow up tomorrow.  Yay!

CMdeux

Western U.S.

Mfamom

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

joanna5

CMdeux

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview