imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: potato salad  (Read 19734 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Re: potato salad
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
For pot-lucks I am usually asked to bring potato salad.  Now, you might think it's because of my lack of cooking abilities and it's the only thing they feel safe for me to bring.....but you would be wrong.  Those people are asked to bring green salad or drinks.

And, no matter how much I make.....the bowl is always empty at the end of dinner.  A sure sign it was liked.  :)

I boil potatoes, skins on.  Let them cool at least enough that they don't burn me, peel and cut.  I prefer to use more then one tpe of potato....red skin and white, white flesh and yellow.  The variety seems to improve the salad.  I also boil eggs.  When someone who doesn't likes eggs lets me know, I will and have made a separate salad for them, omitting eggs.

Cut eggs and potatoes, add salt, pepper, paprika (just a bit) Helman's Mayo, either chopped raw onion, chopped green onion, or onion flakes, depending on what's on hand.  Mix, stick in fridge for at least several hours.  I prefer to make early morning for dinner, or day before if for lunch.

~~~

jim likes hot potato salad.

Peel potatoes and boil, boil eggs.  Stick them in a bowl and mash (by hand, not electric).  Add salt, pepper, mayo, some kind of onion (green works best for this salad).  Make right before serving.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 06:12:04 AM »
Sounds delish SL.  I love potato salads of all kinds, I'm not married to any one style.  :)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
Sounds delish SL.  I love potato salads of all kinds, I'm not married to any one style.  :)

LOL I have officially divorced myself from grocery store potato salad.  One store had one decent one (smashed potato salad that was more like loaded baked potato salad) but they discontinued it.  Personally I think they did it because it was too tasty ;)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline eragon

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
 I think the UK is rubbish at some salads, my potato salad is made with  new potatos , i keep the skin on.
isimply add mayo black pepper and freshly chopped chives. its never even crossed my mind to add anything else.

my own coleslaw is the usual combo of grated onions, carrots and white cabbage. I mix salad cream and mayo together , mix and then chill.

my favourite salad is greek, love the combination of fresh basil leaves, good quality olive oil and cubed feta cheese. simple is best imo when it comes to salad.

i do that other salad, which i cant remember the name, with egg olives tuna anchovies olive oil. hubby is a great fan, me not so much.

i also do a prawn pasta, with pasta bows and cooked prawns, i mix mayo, lemon juice, heniz tomato sauce and lots of fresh black pepper. 

and thats me, and my whole salad ability.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 07:27:06 AM »
From Cooks Illustrated a recipe/method that doesn't boil the potatoes. And the science behind why not.

@TestKitchen: We like to think that our Austrian-Style Potato Salad would make the Von Trapp children sing in approval. http://t.co/aYldNtDp
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »
Oooo-- Danke, Mac. 

I love potato salad.  I even like bad potato salad.  I'm kind of promiscuous when it comes to potato salads, truthfully.  Maybe GN and I can run away together or something.   ;D

I put bacon bits in my German Potato Salad.

I also make a 'warm' potato salad with bacon crumbles, roasted red peppers and sweet onions, and white balsamic vinaigrette...  might have tweaked that one from an Emeril recipe at some point.

Potato salad is the biggest thing that I miss in the decade we've been eggless here.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »
My SIL made this potato salad recipe yesterday - I asked for no egg, no mayo.

it was delicious!!!!

http://www.marthastewart.com/341763/french-potato-salad

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »
Apparently pickle in potato salad is a thing. So I’m making a potato salad and chopping some pickle into it.

Did some googling, and the recipes usually also ask for chopped celery, which we don’t have.

Hope it turns out good.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
I’ve had potato salad with pickle in it. Not my favorite, but I’ve never met a spud I didn’t love, lol. 
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
We all liked it. Seems I put the right amount of pickle, but next time will try adding a bit more pickle juice.

That may not go over well though because it makes the mayo much creamier. So....we’ll see.

GN, you’d make a good Islander.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
 :rofl:

Have potato, will travel.  ;D
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 12:02:25 AM »
I don’t do potatoes these days, but I used to add some juice from bread and butter pickles to my potato salad, and eggs, red onion, fresh chopped parsley, mayo, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.  Oh, some EVOO with cider vinegar sprinkled on the warm potatoes, before mixing in the other stuff.  I like the touch of sweetness with the tang of vinegar.  I’d akso include some Dijon sometimes.  My mother did a similar flavored dressing on macaroni salad, but using Miracle Whip.  The sweet pickles and sweet pickle juice with a bit of Dijon and the mayo gives a better quality sweet and creamy dressing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:05:45 AM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy