FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: hershey's cookies and cream kisses  (Read 6380 times)

Description:

Offline pitter patter

hershey's cookies and cream kisses
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
I saw these in Target yesterday and moticed that there is no nut/peanut warning.  I had no idea that these were safe.  Does anyone eat these?
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline Jessica

Re: hershey's cookies and cream kisses
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:29:07 PM »
I think they have shea? We avoid that (dd doesn't react to it on her skin but she isn't willing to try eating it so far).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
The last ones i saw had a tree nut warning, i think.  But if they are hershey's and the label reads safe for you, I would trust it. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »
Is shea a tree nut?
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
I don't know but dd's allergist said to avoid. Then again he says that about anything we have a question about so it's super frustrating. We went to a different allergist a while back and I forgot to ask about shea so I may call and ask. Shea is in a lot of baby products so I'm pretty sure it's not a common allergen. DD has tried the shea butter lotion and had no problems but she backed out of trying any foods with it.

eta: I missed the post above yours. Hershey doesn't seem to consider shea a tree nut.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:52:17 PM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
We were in NYC where I am pretty sure many of the kisses varieties we previously had used had a "manufactured on same equipment as almond" or similar.  I know for sure the caramel ones are no longer labelled safely for us, and we use to be able to get them all the time.  Pretty sure the cookies and creme ones did too.  But I think it is a recent shift and other packages are still around. 

FWIW, my dd is PA and TNA, and we have never avoided shea.  Not saying anyone should or not, but just that there are varied comfort levels with it.  It was never mentioned to us, and seem to crop up after some years of her being diagnosed(the shea discussion). 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
Shea was never mentioned to us, either.  We've safely used it. 
I'll be sad if we lose kisses! Most varieties were safe for us.  I want to say all cookie and cream stuff in our area was a may contain for almonds....
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)