D day- update on a few things

Started by MandCmama, September 04, 2012, 09:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

Going to try to go to sleep. Tomorrow is the big day! M is bouncing off the walls with excitement. Guess that means I've done a good job of hiding the fact I'm terrified!

Here's to a safe school year for all ! :heart:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

MandCmama

Not. One. Accommodation. Was.  In. Place.   I don't think teacher has even seen the 504 yet.
Didnt find this out until pick up b/c parents were encouraged to quickly drop off and go.  I'll be making some phone calls in the morning.  :rant:
Really don't think I can do 12... No make that 14, years of this.  :disappointed:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

my3guys

:grouphug: for you.

:paddle: :paddle: for them.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better...but I don't think you're alone.  Many others have complained about this same scenario on the first day(s) of school.  I had the same problem.  When DS was younger, I pushed for a meeting with the teacher to review the health plan.  Now that he's older, I email his teacher(s) before school with an introduction, that he has a health plan, his allergies, and 1 page attachment describing his reaction history and symptoms.  I ask for a reply back that they've received and read it, and I offer to meet.  They've all replied, and it lowers my anxiety just a tidge on that first day.

Thought I'd share in case it helps for future.

Macabre

Oh, I'm sorry.  I hope tomorrow goes better.  This is just hard at times.  We've had that kind of year, too, and DS had the second day of 9th grade today.  That said, it really has gotten better over the years (well, MS was really great and we just moved to another state and DS is the first 504 for food allergies. again.)

I'm glad your kiddo has you.  I hope you see some improvements this week.  :heart:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

eggallergymom

So sorry to hear that happened. :(  Hopefully they'll agree that they aren't in compliance and will get things in order quickly!  I understand your frustration--they didn't hold up their end of the bargain.  :paddle:
DD-age 9, LTFA to eggs, seasonal allergies, mild allergic asthma

MandCmama

Well, After speaking with the 504 coordinator Thurs, DH speaking with teacher on Fri, and having a 504 meeting today, I think we are on track. The coordinator seemed shocked during our conversation that the plan wasn't being followed.  During  a follow up call, he admitted that the teacher wasn't as "familiar with the plan as I would hope". ~) The next day brought no changes, though so DH went in to speak with her. During the meeting this morning the 504 coordinator eyes almost fell out of his head when I said things hadn't changed after he spoke with her. The principal seemed quite miffed and ordered the nurse to meet with her during free period today.  He said for us to call him immediately if things need to be tightened up again. In all fairness, the teacher did agree to everything when talking to DH...Not sure why she didn't comply first few days?

During the 504 meeting this morning, I asked about how subs and specials teachers are edu on the plan (insinuating that if his MAIN teacher wasn't familiar with it...). 504 coordinator stated he sends an email to all of them with a list of all students with 504s. It is their responsibility to be familiar with them.  Even the new (Thank God) SpEd director rolled his eyes at that one and asked that all of M's specials teachers be sent a separate detailed email.  It's so sad that it takes being a squeaky wheel to get some grease....What about the kids who's parents are not assertive?

Also, principal said the new birthday policy will be food service treats only...no cupcakes  :nocupcakes: :happydance: ONE less thing to worry about.  Now I just have to plant myself in the PTA and start my shameless agitating there.  ;D
Pennsylvania, USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview