home based baking

Started by Mfamom, September 03, 2012, 09:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linden

This is downright scary.

I wonder if it would help to emphasize that she is inviting herself to be sued?  She doesn't seem to understand that many major corporations produce items without nuts, on dedicated lines and still don't market them as such because they know they are setting themselves up for liability.
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Mfamom

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

nameless

Quote from: Mfamom on September 03, 2012, 06:29:13 PM
just did some research, selling cookies/baked stuff out of your home is illegal in my state
http://triboro.patch.com/announcements/nj-home-bakers-legalize-sale-of-home-baked-goods

It could be she does her baking in a commercially rented kitchen, like in a church basement or off-hours restaurant or a larger facility that you rent time in.

It's not clear from that announcement if you have a second residence (like in-law or basement apt) that is NOT lived in but listed as a business address w/ a dept of heath certificate that it's ok. That's what you have to do in most states...business license + address and health dept. certificate.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Ra3chel

Quote from: nameless on September 03, 2012, 12:10:07 PM
To be advertised as "whatever free" I do believe there are regulations for that as well for your state and the FDA rules. That's why we don't see so much peanut/nut "free" advertised in the states on manufactured foods.

Nope. This has come up before WRT both Whole Foods and Dryer's/Edy's. They're totally unregulated terms, for the most part, with a couple specific exceptions.
The 3 is silent.

Mfamom

I agree with what Rachel said.  I don't think there is a "standard" for "free".  stuff is labeled dairy free, but has casien or milk deriviatve....
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview