FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 for hs going to be a fight  (Read 24616 times)

Description:

twinturbo

Re: 504 for hs going to be a fight
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »
The organizational structure is such it would be difficult to form some sort of exclusion through collusion. Most professors have nothing to do with admissions although obviously some do, additionally it's going to be staff positions that oversee much of the ADAA implementation and those specific personnel most likely have nothing to do with admissions. Even faculty is stratafied... the profs just want everything completed by the time you hit their radar no exceptions. Not to mention some graduate students are also employees. That's just not how I perceive the beehive functioning to either want or be able to exclude based on individual disability. If anything you come to university with impeccable credentials all else is negotiable. BUT you must become a top notch bureaucrat to make sure all is documented in a correct and timely manner to preserve academic standing should the disability affect it.

twinturbo

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »
MfaMom, these new people are going to need the slow grind into submission. Hang tight, it might call for outlasting them they seem big on distraction and manipulation. Wish I could do something to help.

Offline yelloww

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »
MFA, when you change districts, you do have another elligibility meeting. That's the one instance when an IEP would transfer and a 504 wouldn't.

Now when we moved, TECHNICALLY on paper that first meeting was an elligibility meeting for the district. They just decided to sign off on all of that and move directly to accommodations rather than reinvent the wheel. There was a chance that they could have scrapped his 504 plan and insisted on the IHP only. In that case I would have probably wigged out as you did and ended up in due process if they couldn't figure it out.

We also had another elligibility meeting this past spring simply as a paperwork update because somewhere between second and third grade the district's actual 504 paper trail was LOST due to a number of retirements.  :misspeak: They all still called it a 504 and had everything spelled out, and I had an older out of date copy, but our paper trail was incorrect. So all we did was put everything back onto the right legal papers.

Just be logical with them. He's already been deemed elligible in one district. His medical condition didn't change. He changed towns. That's it. Keep reminding them of that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:05:25 PM by yelloww »

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »
I thought once he's been deemed eligible, he would not be "ineligible" unless his condition changed?
two hs make up the district he's in now.  they are a bunch of dim wits.
to boot, a month ago I patiently accepted the early october appt slot, but with the understanding that his plan that was forwarded from MS would be distributed to his teachers so they are aware in the interim. 
Guess what?  today, my son walked into Biology class with a lab that included all sorts of different food.  the lab involved testing food for sugar, starch and fat. 
So, my ds had to raise his hand during the pre lab time and ask what the food is, blah blah.  The teacher did not know he has food allergies. 
Fortunately, the foods did not include anything with nuts or that seemed risky, but it was an interruption to the teacher and a whole exchange in front of class, yeah I have food allergies.  Oh, what are you allergic to?  etc.
I'm pretty mad right now. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline maeve

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »
<snip> I'm just wondering, if they really think the kid is "on his/her own" anyway, if the 504 ACTUALLY adds value at the HS age, and realistically, it comes with some risks with respect to college applications. <snip>

I wouldn't disclose the allergy during the application process.  It's not relevant to assessing whether the student is academically suited to the university.  I would disclose the allergy once acceptance had been granted/all financial aid sorted out and the student decided to attend the school.  In the same vein, I would not disclose the allergy during a job interview either.  An interviewer is legally forbidden from asking about a disability, so why disclose a hidden disability that may not have a material impact on your ability to attend school/perform a job.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
Exactly.

Mfamom, I concur that you need to just sweetly (okay..saccharine, actually)... ask about eligibility in light of previous APPROVAL of eligibility...

after all...   well, you catch the drift, right?

I might further call them on the fact that all of this foot-dragging NONSENSE must. stop. right. this. instant.-- that teacher could have been COMPLETELY blindsided by an entirely predictable life-threatening emergency that administration should have been aware was a risk.

Gee, I'm sure that district administration wouldn't want to be the parties responsible for a catastrophe that they could (and should) have prevented by simply getting their ***t together in a more timely fashion... RIGHT?

;)   I thought so.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »
My dh was livid.  Then says you should have just walked to principal office and let loose

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
MfaMom, these new people are going to need the slow grind into submission. Hang tight, it might call for outlasting them they seem big on distraction and manipulation. Wish I could do something to help.
distraction, manipulation and bullying if you ask me
and thank you.....everyone is always so helpful here!! 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
My dh was livid.  Then says you should have just walked to principal office and let loose

Had one or both of us done that here (thinking of last year) we'd have been facing the school security and county authorities . . . as it was they did the "threat" stance with the whole frigging office staff staged as though we were going to cause them grave harm when we brought our son in late every morning for a few days . . . all because we withheld attendance for the morning class where we -- AND MOST ESPECIALLY SON -- deemed the situation too dangerous due to the insinuations, coercion, and threats by the teacher.

The school's stalling itself is, in fact, a violation of 504 procedure and process.

~ ~ ~

As to accommodations -- don't forget the "celebration" parties for end of marking periods and other stupid fabricated "reasons".

And any other "culture" days or foodie things disguised as "health fairs" . . .

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
If you didn't see this link to recent OCR ruling story, might be worth a read:

http://blog.onespotallergy.com/2012/08/filing-an-ocr-complaint-exercise-your-rights-or-lose-them/

Related thread:

Our OCR ruling
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:42:02 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline rainbow

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
<snip> I'm just wondering, if they really think the kid is "on his/her own" anyway, if the 504 ACTUALLY adds value at the HS age, and realistically, it comes with some risks with respect to college applications. <snip>

I wouldn't disclose the allergy during the application process.  It's not relevant to assessing whether the student is academically suited to the university.  I would disclose the allergy once acceptance had been granted/all financial aid sorted out and the student decided to attend the school.  In the same vein, I would not disclose the allergy during a job interview either.  An interviewer is legally forbidden from asking about a disability, so why disclose a hidden disability that may not have a material impact on your ability to attend school/perform a job.

I've heard it's on some college applications.  (and private HS / prep school applications too).

Offline rainbow

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »
If you didn't see this link to recent OCR ruling story, might be worth a read:

http://blog.onespotallergy.com/2012/08/filing-an-ocr-complaint-exercise-your-rights-or-lose-them/

Related thread:

Our OCR ruling

See the comment in above link which says 504 Plan is portable from District to District.  I believe this is true because it is a Plan backed by federal law. 

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Good luck Mfamom.

It makes me frustrated when schools try to be jerks like this, but I have to admit, it also cheers me up to hear about Mommas like you who I know will do everything that they need to keep their children protected - especially when I relatively regularly deal with parents who are not willing to go the extra mile.

Hugs.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 07:47:54 AM »
you know what's really pissing me off the most?  that the little interaction my son has had so far with regard to his allergies with the nurse and a few of his teachers, they have all made him feel as though the plan is there because he can't handle it himself.

He got really angry with me last night.  He said he's tired of dealing with it and me getting all over people when they don't do what I want them to do.  He said MOM, I'm a big boy.  OMG.  I do not vent about it around him.  He saw that I was PO'd about the biology thing IDK.

There is a choice of 2 hs for our town.  the one he attends is supposed to be a great fit for both academics/athletics.  strong all around.  the past couple of years, peple have started choosing the other school and I think now I understand why.  I'm not impressed.  To boot, the strength of the athletics made the decision easy.  Now, our enrollment is down and they are in a different division, so the athletic challenge is not there.  we're missing 4 starters on football and rolling over evveryone.  I am strongly pushing my dh to move.  I'm pretty much done, especially with the crap I've dealt with in the past month.

One teacher actually insinuated that my ds is a Dumb Jock.  3rd day of school, he answered a question.  the teacher was trying to be funny apparently and he said, "oh, I'm guessing you're on the football team".  My ds was highly offended....he said why would you guess that and a little dog and pony show by the teacher began.

Committee Member Hermes

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 07:49:57 AM »

I've heard it's on some college applications.  (and private HS / prep school applications too).

We'll be dumb and forget to put that on there.  Again, it's asking about a legal disability that doesn't need to be covered in that kind of process.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA