FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 for hs going to be a fight  (Read 24945 times)

Description:

Offline rainbow

Re: 504 for hs going to be a fight
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »
... but the plan is not all about him fending for himself.  He doesn't have control over lesson plans, party planning etc. 
I asked how a teacher could offer a  food reward that is not attractive to all students...

Yes, this. In the real world, he also is an adult who can choose a safe place to sit at a conference, ensure safe food options for himself on a business trip, etc...not be chained to seat in a classroom where teacher doesn't let kids move around and then orders FOOD as a reward.

I'd copy some stories of things happening to HIGH SCHOOL kids with LTFA.  Remember the story about the kid doing sports practice in CT that didn't feel well, needed Epi, went to locker room by himself to get it and called 911 and Mom from locker room?  When Mom and Ambulance got there, kid was in anaphylactic shock.  That was a few years ago.  And the Katelyn Carlson story about the "real world" teacher who ordered Chinese food for the class.  And how about the story out today about the "Real world" teacher that insisted on scented candles with nut oils?  Oh, and there is one about a Science Lab project done at a "real" high school where child with peanut allergy had reaction (that one probably most relevant and would work well with your "chocolate lab" story or recent "food testing" lab.

Also, I'd look up some information on COLLEGE websites to show them how COLLEGES in the "real world" accept 504 Plans and provide accomodations.  (check Michigan State University...saw an article recently).  I also remember seeing things on other websites of smaller colleges.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:39 PM »
Those are great ideas Rainbow.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »
Mfamom, last night while driving to school I told DS and DH about your meeting and with every sentence DS was making "uh huh" comments. When I finished, he said, "So does <your DS' name> actually go to my school now, because this sounds exactly like our 504 meeting!"  (I hadn't mentioned the striking similarities.).

With the way your DS was treated by football coach, I think you have reason enough to go elsewhere. This provides more reason. 

I will say that so far, even though our school unapologetically has a huge culture of food, things have been going okay.  If you'll remember very Friday in the multi-grade home room DS has, they have a huge snack (kids sign up for it). And kids are allowed to eat in every class.

We've changed our expectations a bit. Relaxed them some--and part of this is because DS is getting older. And he doesn't want to be stick out. This is the first place where he hasn't been known as the kid with PA and it has frankly helped socially. I'm not saying we've sacrificed safety for popularity. Not at all. But we are now willing to let DS negotiate things more. Our 504 still has that we'll be notified if food used for instructional purposes.

I will still try to send you our 504. I think it's a bit fluffy. But we've got it. Because we did it before school started we had to trust the team a bit when they said something didn't apply there (though I probed to make sure). One thing I didn't take out was the food for lockdown. They were absolutely dumbfounded that we could possibly need to include that.  Ugh. 

I'm glad you still have the designation. You can work on things from this point.

Offline yelloww

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »
Sell your house and come here!

Offline maeve

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »
McC,
I was thinking about that lockdown issue and was amazed that they didn't see its relevance to shelter in place, which is very likely given the higher incidence of tornadic activity in your new location vs. old location.  I'd probably use "shelter in place" when talking about it.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
Maeve said exactly what I was thinking.

Weather-related shelter-in-place is much more understandable, I think, to some people.  (Also not infrequent, by any means.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »
forgot, this part.....
I asked them if they might be able to give me aheads up on what the hs culture is and situations that accommodations might be necessary...they gave me a few things followd by this is High School and your approach is very elementary and middle schoolish.... REAL LIFE is now and big boy lecture. 

I actually snorted a few minutes later when they asked if he had a safe treat box for class parties in MS. 

I actually laughed at them a bit and said he didn't have a safe treat box in elem. or mS.  in elementary the "parties" and "treats" were packaged safe treats and in MS they never had a food reward or class party.  LOL  I said it sounds like the HS culture has reverted back to elem. school
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
:)

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »
oh and this MAY be the icing on the cake.....remember the basketball drama from last year?  coach son now the head coach for our high school.  he is also a helper in football.  so, my ds has been completely alienated from the team because no one can understand why he can't club his hand and play.  they cannot understand why it is taking all this time to heal. 
so he won't be cleared to have activity in time for basketball tryouts.  My ds has been on the elite team for the past 3 years, was on the ms team as a 7th grader (only 3 make it) as well as 8th grade.  The coach told him too bad, no exceptions etc. 
I'm sure if one of the "it" boys were in the situation, they would be slid right on the roster. 
It just doesn't feel right and I may have to have WWIII with my dh who says everything will be okay, but I know in my heart it won't. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:53:06 PM by Mfamom »
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline yelloww

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
Sell your house and come here!

I'm just going to keep posting this!  :yes:

Our football team is 5-2 right now.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:48 PM »
Oh I'm so sorry. This really stinks. I can hear your pain and worry on your last post.  :heart:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2012, 05:27:32 AM »
DH and I agreed on one thing when it comes to 504 time: it has to be an education worth fighting for.

Needing the Hallelujah Chorus for this one.  AMEN!

(Saying this was where we finally realized we were . . . hence the homeschooling now . . . )

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2012, 05:43:07 AM »
Have been thinking about this thread . . .

now I'm beginning to understand why the FAB SCHOOL NURSE (the one we had for only one year in MS) was SO ALL OVER getting the 504 set up and detailed for our son . . .

her words to the effect of "I really want these (504s) fully set up before they get to high school" . . .

Wish I could clone her.

~ ~ ~

ETA -- Also, I think they thought they were going to remove eligibility and just wash their hands of you and your son's "problem" (vs truly qualifying disability under Sect 504 & ADA) . . . and when they realized they'd have to leave the eligibility, they just worked to gut the 504 plan . . . under the guise of "Real World".

Which is exactly what the school district did to us (both MS and elementary) before we disenrolled.

~ ~ ~

Wishing we had Gail's input here about now . . . (channeling "why NOT having a 504 does everyone a disservice" . . . )

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:47:54 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2012, 06:59:03 AM »
Hearing "Duty of Care" in my head as I continue to mull this thread . . .

twinturbo

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2012, 07:18:33 AM »
There's no way I could armchair jockey a stonewalled administration digging its heels in even further, but, short of stifling the urge to help their faces meet the table I'd also have the urge to acknowledge the bs with a Neil Degrasse Tyson meme shrug and say

Alrighty, you got me. You're denying accomodations. But since this is a public school and we're within the 504 process without using pet buzzwords "big boy" and "real world" I am requesting on October 18, 2012 10:34 am to have a clear and precise explanation within the framework of FAPE, Section 504, Title II ADAA, and your job descriptions why these accomodations are being denied. I contend that the requested accomodations do not constitute undue burdens and do not in any way change the fundamental nature of any program.

I expect this answer in writing and in full compliance with above mentioned regulations adhering to 504 procedural safeguards.

Having said that, if they did indeed have a solid reply one would have to remain open minded about it to at least hear them out.