Chipotle NOT AFFECTED by cumin recall!

Started by nameless, January 21, 2015, 05:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nameless

CONFIRMED BY ME: Chipotle NOT affected! I suggested the put a notice on their website or FB page to make lots of worried folks happy!

(myname),

Thanks so much for getting in touch. As a Chipotle lover with food allergies, I totally understand how important this is. I'm happy to say we were not impacted by the recall. I'll also suggest we're a bit more forthcoming about this.

I hope you enjoy a burrito bowl soon!

Sincerely,
Amanda C

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Macabre

So that's two of us who have heard the same thing.  This is great news.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

spacecanada

Oh, great news!  We're headed to America in a few weeks and are looking forward to some Chipotle goodness. 

Would this be chain-wide (nationally) or only for a certain region?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Jessica

we've seen it in several states in the midwest and west coast. What area are you going to?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Jenni

I am looking on this board because I took my son to Chipotle who has a peanut allergy. He eats there all of the time. Right after he ate this time he had HORRIBLE stomach pains. He was doubled over for hours. It had to have been the food! We are in AZ and I called to ask the manager and he said he *thinks* they were not affected by the cumin recall. I am scared to take him back there now and that was our go to "safe" place for him to eat at.

guess

The proper reporting mechanism is the FDA number related to the recall if you suspect a reaction.  It's in any of the recall notices. 

Jessica

Sorry to hear that. We've been to Chipotle twice so far with no problems (knock on wood). Going again tomorrow. I always wonder, everywhere I go, about cc from them handling money, etc. We always wash up before eating but then we touch our cups while eating and the cashier, who has been handling money, had touched it too.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

nonuteen

Anyone heard anything else about Chipotle and the cumin recall?  Saw today that the FDA is now recommending anyone with peanut allergies to avoid cumin until further notice..sigh.
DD must eat Chipotle 3 or more times per week at college.  It would really stink to lose it...

ETA:  Just wondering if any of the info has changed since Jan and with how widespread this recall seems to be...

Mezzo

I was wondering the same thing. All the things that were sorted out after the first recall - do they still apply? Or could the second supplier make these places unsafe?

Macabre

We knew about two suppliers in January. I have no recommendation about eating here, but DS has in Boston and the Twin Cities recently without incident. He is undergoing SLIT, so I don't know if that would make a difference at this point in his tolerance, but I assume so. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

nonuteen

I emailed them again yesterday and they are still saying they are not affected but will not share their supplier name.  Going to copy email text below:

Thank you for reaching out to us about the recent recall of cumin. I can absolutely understand your concern, but I'm happy to let you know that we do NOT purchase any cumin from the supplier that has been affected by the recall.   While I'm not able to share the name of our suppliers with you, I can let you know that the facilities that our cumin is handled in, do not handle any peanuts. We are also keeping an eye on this and regularly audit all of our suppliers.

You and your child should be able to come back. The only worry on your mind? What should you get on your burrito.

Your burrito buddy,
Katrin

nameless

the only suppliers I think we've found that definitively say they are not affected are McCormick and Penzey's. Wonder if it's McCormick.

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

nonuteen

Quote from: nameless on February 20, 2015, 03:58:15 PM
the only suppliers I think we've found that definitively say they are not affected are McCormick and Penzey's. Wonder if it's McCormick.

That's what I was wondering.  Wish they would share their supplier.  It would really ease my mind!  Saying that their cumin is in a peanut free facility means little right now given that the contamination occurred before reaching the US. 
Chipotle is so big on using local and organic food that I am hoping theirs is not the one from overseas?

guess

FSIS needs to share test results from whatever has been tested.  Holding that back from the public has not helped us make decisions for ourselves.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview