imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Soups  (Read 4442 times)

Description:

Offline YouKnowWho

Soups
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
(When I make vegan, I use vegetable broth and skip the chicken)

2 Butternut Squash
3-4 Granny Smith apples cubed (I have used a variety, most like tart to offset the sweet of the squash)
1-2 onions diced
Chicken (I buy bags of flash frozen so I use the same amount of meat my family will eat in one serving)
1 carton of broth (chicken or vegetable)
Pumpkin pie spices (or think in that direction)
Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350  (I try to cook the squash earlier in the day because it is easier to handle cooled when scooping for the soup)
Half and scoop out the seeds of 2 butternut squashes (use a mallet to help me get the knife through)
Prick skin with fork
Place meat side down on a baking pan
Bake for 30-45 minutes

Brown onions and apples in oil (or butter) until onions are translucent
Add carton of broth and chicken
Allow chicken to cook through (I will add more water if needed to cover chicken, but not an abundance)
When squash is done, scoop out the meat and add to soup.
Using a stick blender or blender, achieve the consistency you are looking for (ours comes out like baby food mush).
Add spices.

Enjoy

Other recipes have you skip the roasting of the squash by peeling and adding to the water.  My SIL and I agree that the roasting adds something.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GingerPye

Re: Soups
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »
Oh wow.  I think I will have to try this one this week!!  Thank you, Dearie!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
Okay, question:  tell me how much of the pumpkin pie spice?  (Yeah, I'm an idiot in the kitchen)
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:34:43 AM »
A few shakes  ???  I am notoriously bad at measuring.  This time I used just cinnamon because our baking spices moved and I can't remember where they are  :misspeak:  Some people use ginger, some people use cayenne.

Most of the recipes I am looking at say pinches.  I am sorry that I am not much more help than that.  I will say this is the soup that disappears off the table though  :evil:
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:26:02 AM »
Nutmeg is notoriously good in butternut squash soup. 
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:47:12 AM »
That looks so easy and yummy!  Thank you! 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
DS1 is notorious for eating 2-3 bowls.  Em who scoffs at veggies, ate 3 bowls the other night  :misspeak:
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
DH made this last night, and it was out of this world.  Wowza. This was serve-to-guests good.

Lemon-Tarragon Cream of Roasted Asparagus Soup

All measurements are guesstimates. Do what makes sense to you.

1. Place in a large bowl 1-2 T. olive oil, a few three-finger pinches of coarse salt, and enough cracked black pepper to be interesting. Toss in bowl 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in wedges; 1 large onion, coarsely diced; 1/2 pound of asparagus, cut into 3 inch pieces; and 2 small tomatoes, cut in half or 1 regular size cut in quarters. Spread on a large baking sheet and roast in a hot 475 degree oven until it starts to brown and the asparagus is perfectly roasted.

2. While veggies are roasting, make the soup base. Heat 1-2 T olive oil and 1-2 T butter in large saucepan. Whisk in 1/4 cup flour until golden and bubbly. Add 1/2 t dried tarragon leaves, a cube of no-chicken-stock boullion, a splash of sherry (I like a dry Amantillado, but go easy, you can use too much), 2-3 cups of milk and 1-2 cups water. Whisk until thickened. Lower temperature so it's not boiling before adding 1/2 t grated fresh lemon zest, and 1-2 T sour cream. Whisk smooth. Pour into large heatproof measuring pitcher.

3. Reserve 3 roasted asparagus tips per serving. Put half the vegetables in the blender with half the soup base. Blend until smooth. Transfer back to pan. Repeat with remaining veggies and base.

4. Ladle into tureens. Scoop a dollop of sour cream into the center of each bowl and place three roasted asparagus tips on top.

Serve with homemade sourdough rolls and butter. We enjoyed a 2012 Pierre Boniface Apremont with it. It's from the Savoie region of the French Alps. It's nice and light, a bit bright, and a bit melony, which was just beautiful with the lemony tarragon goodness of the soup.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »
Wow, that does sound good!  I will have to try that soon.
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »
I have made roasted veggies soup, but this was truly wonderful.  DH made this up, inspired by a potato/asparagus/aioli salad we had at a pizza place in St. Paul last weekend.  I think the tarragon and lemon zest really made it special.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline berty

• New
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
Does someone know a brilliant recipe for a cold cucumber soup?    ;D

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »
bump
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Meltedheart

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 12:23:15 AM »
Amish-Style Chicken and Corn Soup

The Amish are famous for their use of herbs and spices. The saffron in this soup lends it a deep golden color as well as a subtle flavor. If you prefer, the soup can be prepared without the saffron, however.

Makes 8 servings

Ingredients:

1/2 stewing hen or fowl, quartered
2 quarts chicken broth
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
1 cup cooked egg noodles
3/4 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper taste

Preparation:

Combine the stewing hen with the broth, the chopped onions, carrots, celery and the saffron threads in a soup pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour, skimming the surface as necessary.

Remove the stewing hen from the broth. When cool enough to handle, pick the meat from the bones and cut into a neat dice.

Strain the saffron broth through a fine sieve.

Add the noodles, corn, finely diced celery and parsley to the broth. Return the soup to a simmer. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Serve in heated bowls.

Note: Stewing hens (or fowls) are the best choice for soups. They are more full-flavored than fryers or broilers, and you will end up with a soup that has a wonderfully rich flavor and body. You can use the entire bird to prepare a gallon of broth and then freeze the broth and cooked meat you won't need for this recipe separately, to be used as the basis for future soups. Just double the amount of water and chopped onion, carrot and celery. Omit the saffron.