login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pirogies  (Read 1889 times)

Description: or Noodles

Offline spacecanada

Pirogies
« on: October 26, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »
As requested by Macabre, here is my family's recipe for perogy dough, which also happens to be the same recipe we use to make noodles for in soups and stuff. 

~240g/~2 cups unbleached flour
1 g/1 ml/¼ teaspoon salt
4 g/5 ml/1 teaspoon baking powder (for noodles only, not perogies!! - completely optional, however)
125 ml/½ cup soy milk (water will work too but soy milk is better, or whatever type of milk is safe)
~50 ml/~¼ cup water

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder (if using).
Add the soy milk and water and stir until a thick dough forms.  Knead the dough into a ball.
Let the dough rest for 20-30 minutes.
Roll out dough to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes.

My husband likes thicker dough and rolls it by hand.  I prefer to use a pasta roller and let it do the hard work; the thickness is more consistent that way too.

To make perogies:
Roll dough fairly thin.
Cut into squares about the size of the palm of your hand, or a little bigger.  (Or cut in circles)
Add about a teaspoon of filling (we use plain mashed sweet potato) to the centre of each piece of dough.
Fold the dough in half, pinching the edges to seal.  Brush on a little water if the dough is too dry to stick to itself.
Leave the pirogies out on a cooling rack for several hours until the dough is dry.  You may have to flip them once. 
Where we used to live, that was only a few hours, but where we live now it takes almost a day until they aren't sticky any more.
Transfer the perogies to a cookie sheet and freeze for 4 - 6 hours before placing them in a storage container - this prevents them from sticking to each other. 

Cook perogies in boiling water for 8-10 minutes (Approximately, I never actually cook them; my husband does and couldn't tell me how long they boil for.)

To make noodles:
Roll the dough to your desired thickness.  My husband likes really fat noodles but I like them thinner.  Cut them in desired shapes.  Cook them in bolding water until they float and puff up a little.  Again, I'm not really sure how long it takes, but 8-10 minutes should be enough.  You can always taste test them for doneness.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum