FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Squash recipes  (Read 23674 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Squash recipes
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butternut-Squash-Enchiladas/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=spinach%20enchiladas&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

The first time I made this particular recipe, I followed this closely (we do real enchiladas several times a year--with veggies).  Except I added either Guajillo Salsa or a Salsa Verde.  I really like using butternut squash (will use frozen cubed), sweet potato (will use frozen cubed), and spinach (prefer fresh but will use frozen if need be--thawed and drained/squeezed).

I do keep those salsas on hand so I can make this--it's so fast. Though when I made it this week, I just used cans of Rotel--one can per layer.

This week I put some picante sauce on the bottom, then a layer of corn tortillas (baked a bit first), then a mixture of squash, shallots (sauteed). Rotel layer. Cheese. Layer of tortillas then a black bean (drained and rinsed)/spinach layer. Rotel, cheese, tortillas, cheese. 

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »
Wowza - that looks yummeh!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »
Yeah I think there's some squash, quinoa and kale layering on my agenda for tonight. Almost like a shepherd's pie or lasagna.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:22:52 PM by Macabre »

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2014, 05:41:18 AM »
Butternut squash chai soup

I made this one up, no real recipe, but it is good, and easy.  And vegan if that is something you are looking for.

Cut butternut squash into large chunks, put in large pot.  Add just enough sweetened chai tea (just tea and sugar or other sweetener, no milk) to cover.  Simmer until squash is tender.  Use an immersion blender until desired consistency (you can make it really smooth or leave some small bits in it).  Add salt, pepper to taste.  You can serve with a garnish, like pepitas, or creme fraiche (creme fraiche would mean it is no longer vegan). 
USA

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
I ate some fabulous roasted pumpkin on arugula at Whole Foods the other day.  It had a fruity, perhaps balsamic dressing.  There were walnuts and Gorgonzola.  I did not know I could eat the rind!  It was fabulous.t

And I forgot to go back to look at the tag to write down all the ingredients so I could try to make my own version at home (sans walnuts).

Hoping they have it again next week when I'm back down that way . . . gonna take notes.

Anyone ever eat / make something like this?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »
Yes. DH makes something like that. We use feta, as I cannot do blue cheeses of any kind (DS and DH love them). And we use pecans. :) But I think (safe) walnuts would be better with that combo--but are so very hard to find.

I wonder if safe sunflower seeds would work nicely.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
You may be able to google the recipe if it is a regular thing at Whole Foods.  I run across other recipes from there. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline nameless

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »
this thread reminded me of my delicata squash recipe - had it for lunch...this time added in sauteed spinach and used a shredded gouda type argentinian cheese.

Cut delicata into half rounds and saute in olive oil over ML heat. It takes a while for it to cook and you don't want it to brown too early. You do want it browned, so if it's cooked through and not quite brown/crispy edged yet...crank the heat and brown it up.

Meanwhile, saute sliced shallots or sweet onion in olive oil in a separate pan on medium heat to brown up.

When the squash is almost done, saute up some fresh spinach in olive oil on med-high heat. I re-used the shallot pan.

Cut up squash into bite size pieces then toss everything together. Salt as needed. Lay out on plate and top with finely shredded cheese (I used my microplane).

Could probably add in some heated up/drained black beans for protein and might even be nice all tossed up into some cooked quinoa that was made with a good veg broth or chx broth.

Actually yes --- I will make that for lunch this week with quinoa and black beans!
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »
I have never had delicata sqush.  I had to google it!  Heard of it but not had it.  Do you peel it for the above?  It looks like it would be a bear to peel.

Offline nameless

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
I have never had delicata sqush.  I had to google it!  Heard of it but not had it.  Do you peel it for the above?  It looks like it would be a bear to peel.

Nope - you don't peel delicata squash. It's a thin skin and cooks up nice. You should try delicata --- if you have a farmers' market around you - it's the season and they are SO GOOD fresh from the farm!
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
 :thumbsup:  I pretty much enjoy any squash I have ever tried, some moreso than others. 

I am in the mood for some low carb, but stick to your ribs sort of food.  Squash typically fits into that sort of craving nicely. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Fall really brings out the "stick to your rib" cravings.  I'm trying to chill on the carbs too, because I feel so shaky and icky when I eat too many of them, but have a hard time feeling satisfied without them. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
Oh my goodness--I had the most amazing squash today at the church potluck. I will get the recipe. It was roasted cubes.

Also--amazing carrots. Possibly the best ever.   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
Here it is. He used butternut squash.