Squash recipes

Started by YouKnowWho, September 18, 2012, 09:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog

Have you tried a julienne peeler for zucchini?  It is just like a regular peeler, but has little sharp lines on the blade.  It makes thin little ribbons, but with the same motion as peeling.  And straight, not spiral.  I love mine. 
USA

PurpleCat

Yesterday I was standing in Bed Bath and Beyond looking at the hand held spiral cutter and it's more expensive counter model with a crank handle and thought - since I love spaghetti squash I might like this.  And then I thought, that's a lot of work.  Spaghetti squash, cut in half, scoop seeds, and bake.  That does not take me long and I don't have to babysit it while it bakes.  So I didn't buy it.

Timely comments, so glad I did not.

hezzier

I do have a julienne peeler so I can try that next time.

Macabre

I've nuked spaghetti squash successfully a number of times.  Upside down in with a little water. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

becca

I pierce my spaghetti squash with a knife in a few spots and nuke it whole.  But I don't have an exact time.  Maybe 6 minutes or so.  When it begins to feel soft, I let it rest and then cut it and pull the stings when I can handle it. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

becca

The spiral cutter is fun, but definitely a limited gadget.  I also do potatoes for the kids and they LOVE them.  Spirals and tossed with a touch of EVOO and seasoned salt, and in the oven until browned and crispy.  I toss a time or two during the baking.  Maybe did a carrot or two before, but they need to be very large.  Could do large beets on it too. 

ajasfolks2

Have been enjoying fried zucchini the past couple weeks.

IN case no recipe  / cooking instructions for this previously in this thread:

Buy LARGE zucchini (3" diameter or larger -- might have to get at farmer's market if don't grow yourself)

Cut slices about 3/4" thick.

In one pan:
A large scoop of plain bread crumbs (maybe 3/4 c)
a couple tbsp of cornmeal
a tbsp grated parmesan
parsley, other herbs as you like,
s&p

In other pan:
2 eggs, beaten
a little water to thin
s&p

Heat nonstick skillet to med-high.  Add some oil and 1/2 Tbsp butter . . . don't burn the butter.

Dip the squash in egg mix and then into the crumb mix, coating both sides.

Fry until golden on 1 side, flip, fry until golden on other.  Should be crisp tender . . .

Eat while hot.  Yum!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Macabre

Macabre

GoingNuts

Wowza - that looks really good. 

I made some squash/vegetable soup this afternoon (clean-out-the-fridge type of soup, no particular recipe) and am currently making butternut squash macaroni and cheese.  Yeah, I do love squash!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

nameless

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Macabre

Lol. I actually meant to give you attribution but then posted after a while and lost track.

But I am really grateful. I do it in the microwave upside down and in a bit of water and it becomes too watery. Can't wait to try this!

becca

I always do mine in the microwave...whole, pierced in a few places.  I will have to try this way you two have shared. 

I am going to try my Instant Pot as well.  It is supposed to do it well too. 

becca

Putting here to save:  I would use soy sauce and regular sugar or raw sugar, and add green onions. 

http://littlebitsof.com/2014/10/spaghetti-squash-chow-mein/

nameless

Quote from: Macabre on October 17, 2016, 07:17:39 PM
Lol. I actually meant to give you attribution but then posted after a while and lost track.

But I am really grateful. I do it in the microwave upside down and in a bit of water and it becomes too watery. Can't wait to try this!

Baking it always makes it drier and less wet (which I prefer)
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview