Latex allergy and Triathlons/open water races

Started by gufyduck, September 16, 2012, 10:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gufyduck

I thought i'd post my experience here just for anyone who might need it in the future.  I did a triathlon this weekend and for the swim part you are required to wear a provided swim cap (made of latex).  Being allergic to latex, that can pose a slight problem.  I really did not want to wear the latex cap over my silicone cap because i have a history of systemic, but not anaphylactic, reactions.  I talked with the race officials and they had absolutely no problem with me skipping the latex race cap all together and using my own. They just told me to make sure I started at the correct time (designated by cap color for this race).

SkyRibbons

Interesting, I didn't realize caps were often made of latex.  And congratulations on doing a triathalon!

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

krasota

Glad they accommodated you! 

Most swim caps are latex.  I buy silicone and lycra caps, but the vast majority have historically been latex rubber. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

hezzier

I would have to say that there has been a big shift in caps for swim teams.  I mostly see silicone.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview