FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Need current info re: TRANSATLANTIC flight- Eastern US to Dublin/London  (Read 5394 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Which airlines on this route are nut-free?

Which are most accommodating w.r.t. nut allergy announcements, etc.?

We are considering logistics of this with a person who is demonstrably aerosol sensitive.  ANY info is very much appreciated.

Who is good, who is to be avoided at all costs, and who is easy to work with?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline eragon

Re: Need current info re: TRANSATLANTIC flight- Eastern US to Dublin/London
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »
we have flown with BA, and you can ask for an anouncement to be made, they did this once for us on our first trip to usa.
other than that, I dont think i can help much for those with airbourne sensitive , apart from the usual sensible advice to take own food /wipes etc.

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
Actually, that is VERY helpful ergaon-- I was recalling that BA had a good reputation in this regard.  it is great to hear that confirmed.   :smooch:

I'm actually thinking that this MIGHT just be do-able.  <head spins>

Western U.S.

Offline eragon

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
I am sure it is, and also BA dont hand out peanuts on the flight, if that helps as well
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »
Well, since BA is OMG more $$ than the same United route...

does anyone have info on United (transatlantic, obviously) and Aer Lingus?

I like that flight plan much, much better-- MUCH shorter airtime, and NO meal service on the direct flight via Aer Lingus (it's an overnight).

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
We could do PDX to Montreal to JFK to Heathrow to DUB with BA... but it would be aboutr ~2.5K per one-way ticket.

OR.... PDX, ORD+2h+ORD, DUB for $1300 per ticket.

The other thing that I like about the latter is that the LONGEST flight is just under 8 h.  It must go north from Chicago rather than due east.  But that is the Aer Lingus portion, so I have some obvious concerns there.

Western U.S.

Offline nameless

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »
Lufthansa is connected somehow to United. I flew Lufthansa while in Europe and on my trip there and back. No peanuts. Not sure now though so you'll have to check their policy. I believe I booked the flight with United, but Lufthansa was the carrier.

Adrienn
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline paparenttoo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:28:03 AM »
CM, My husbad and I flew Aer Lingus about 16 years ago when we went to Ireland. As I recall, even then they did not serve peanuts but we were served a meal (overnight flight from Chicago to Dublin and then to Shannon Airport). We were impressed w/the airline...if they can make the flight safe , I don't think you will be disappointed.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:29:52 AM by paparenttoo »
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Anonymous

DD allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and shellfish
USA

Offline SweetandSour

Don't mean to sound dumb, but does Delta go there? Seriously had a very good experience with Delta, and am flying them again this weekend again.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Okay-- discussed with allergist this morning.

His strategy is:

a) carry PLENTY of extra epinephrine (so we'll start building up our stock now)

b) pre-load with not only regular meds (Zyrtec, high-dose) but also with Singulair about a week before the trip and continue to dose with it during the trip,

c) carry H1/H2 blocking antihistamines (benadryl)

d) carry H1 blocking-- Zantac or equivalent

e) carry liquid prednisone (just in case)

f) carry inhaled steroid-combo (LABA-Steroid)

g) rescue inhaler-- albuterol

Yes, this is a large amount of pharmacology.  Most of it is 'just in case.'

He also pointed out that pharmacy practice in the EU differs significantly from that in North America-- pharmacists in the EU have some dispensing privilege that north American ones don't.  My feeling is that this probably stems from a historical apothecary practice which underpins pharmacy in European nations.  Anyway.  He said that in his experience, some drugs can be gotten 'behind the counter' from a sympathetic pharmacist even without an Rx but with a good explanation of need, but that we probably shouldn't count on it. 

S&S, we probably would never fly Delta just because they spent so many years serving SO many peanuts that the planes themselves are likely to be wayyyyyy, WAY beyond unsafe for DD with her level of sensitivity.

Allergist confirmed that we will preboard and wipe-down, long sleeves, not eat anything served onboard, etc.  That is pretty much a given at DD's level of sensitivity.

Western U.S.

Offline eragon

the only thing on that list you can get over the counter in the uk is the antihistamines, everything else will need a prescription from a hosptial doc or gp.

Offline maeve

CM,
Let me know when you're going.  I have a special airplane seat cover that I can loan you.  I'd just want to mail it to you well before your trip.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
I think that we still have one from the last time we flew, honestly.  (Now, do I know where it is, though....  LOL)

If DH donated it at some point, I'll definitely be in touch!

eragon-- that's what we figured, and we weren't even 100% sure about availability on the antihistamines (other than benadryl).  We'll pretty much plan to bring everything with us that we might need.

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Yea! This sounds doable!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
A nurse just shared this with us (specifically) on twitter. You've already covered many of these bases.

@AllergyEducator: Teen trip to Italy w/ #foodallergy & history of anaphylaxis. Preparations? Where to start? http://t.co/K63spwQT @Allergictravelr @FASupport
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts