FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School Sanctioned activities  (Read 2390 times)

Description: Covered under 504, right?

Offline MandCmama

School Sanctioned activities
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Finally! DH is getting worked up about exclusion and unfairness re: food allergies...And not even in his role as parent (I take care of that for both of us, tyvm), but in his role as teacher.

Dh's grade goes on a school sponsored camp out each year.  The students have to pay a fee (for food and transportation); however, if they are unable to pay, the PTA steps up. The food for dinner is catered (real rustic experience  ~)) and breakfast is made by chaperons.  This year a girl that will be going has celiac's.  VERY little of the food will be safe for her. Dh suggested that the girl be refunded the portion of the fee that covers food, as her family will have to provide safe food for her.  The rest of his teaching team objected, stating that it's her choice to go on the trip and it would snowball into those with food DISLIKES requesting part of the fee back.  This took dh aback as all the other teachers know and love our boys.  Then, in anger, dh said "well if it's that much of an inconvenience to accommodate someone, maybe we ought to shut the trip down" (it's been going on for YEARS).  His team was dumbfounded that he really thought this was an issue, and that as a parent it would be enough for him to try to shut it down....

Today dh spoke with vp (who has children with ltfa and has been a great help to us) who agreed wholeheartily that a discussion regarding this needs to take place.

The girl in question does NOT have a 504 plan.  If she did though, would it extend to an event like this?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: School Sanctioned activities
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
Most definitely a 504 would cover ANY and ALL fieldtrips (or SHOULD, if it was well-written and thorough)!!

I would think celiac would qualify for 504, same as LTFA would as it affects the ability to EAT and care for oneself, to name a couple.

Celiac would qualify for USDA special meals consideration in cafeteria!!

The "refund money" as to food part of cost is a possible accommodation that might be appropriate.  The "team" does NOT get it and is woefully uneducated as to this situation and the meals aspect.

Time for some serious EDucation of the team and some real advocacy.

:smooch:  to your DH.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
BUT-- if the child in question is not covered by section 504 (deemed ineligible, I mean) then I'd think not.

This is the reason why "food preference" is a real non-starter there-- food preference doesn't qualify under section 504.

Diabetes does.  LTFA, yes.  Celiac, I'd assume so, yes.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
Adding that it wasn't too many years back that school personnel would be "dumbfounded" when blacks were excluded too . . . just saying.  It takes time and patience to bring people along and get them to GET IT.

A story from our past:

When we were dealing with an end-of-year "ice cream" party at a school some years back -- 5th grade -- the parents were paying into a fund for the ice cream and then parents were donating toppings.  The VP made the exec decision to go get Blue Bell at an Outback, which meant *our* son could eat it (of course, they didn't accommodate the dairy allergic, eventhough we pushed very hard for them to NOT do a food party as it was NOT inclusive due to the MFA kids).  But the parents were all still INSISTING they had a right to provide ANY toppings they wanted and there was suggestion that our son just get his bowl of ice cream and sit at a PN/Nut free table to eat it . . . who knows what the MFA kids were doing (I wasn't privy to that).

So, I suggested to the VP that there be NO toppings brought in from anyone.  Just ice cream -- still insisting that there needed to be a food-free event for true inclusion.  (After all, there was NOBODY with a bonfide need for ice cream.)

Then, in complete exasperation, I suggested (phone call) that they just have a MEXICAN KID table.  I told her it would be wonderful for our son to be DOUBLY excluded, and discriminated against based on his LTFA/disability AND his race.

20 Minutes later she called me back and told me there would be no toppings.

I cried.  We didn't win anything.  Because the MFA kids were excluded and their parents were just freaking fine with it.

It was just very, very sad to me.

And to our son.

We got HATE email (for WEEKS) from pissed off parents who were violently angry about NOT being able to bring in their bleeping toppings for their precious fifth graders.

~ ~ ~

What I'm trying to say is that it takes perhaps ONE voice in the staff of a school to REALLY make a difference.

Thank your DH again for me.

For all of us.

:heart:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Celiac is covered by the ADA.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Ajas....Dh LOVED your phone call to the VP.  He was still chuckling this morning :yes:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)