FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: International Travel  (Read 27623 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: International Travel
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »
Yes, that is what I've decided to do first-- and as of today, we should start to get hotel info, since we'll be assigned our on-the-ground guide.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 10:32:38 AM »
Okay-- my plan for carrying epis is as follows-- we will each carry 3 at all times-- two in a standard location (noted below) and one in the waist packs that our passports/money/tickets/info are in.  That way even if the 'regular' bag should get snatched and we should get separated, there is no chance of being left without any epinephrine at all.

DD will be carrying a crossbody bag JUST large enough for a pair of epipens and an inhaler with an inner zipper pocket for cash and medic-alert card.  I plan to stitch one of her old medic-alert EMBLEMS onto the front of that bag.  Oh-- and that bag does not zip.  It is a mini-messenger bag with front SNAPS-- yes, two of them, and it has an adjustable length strap, so she can snug it up to keep it under her arm if we're on transit or in a public place which is a crowded tourist site.

In addition to that bag, we'll each be carrying cross-body messenger bags as our "day" bags (and airline carryons).  We finally just went with LL Bean, since I found some that had the security features (inner zippers, pockets, etc) that I wanted:

my bag, which matches my super-obnoxious suitcase, incidentally...

The thing is, if you do that.... be sure to also carry a smaller 'break-out' bag for a cellular/epis since many museums require you to check larger bags.    I usually use a cross-body purse about 9X9, so I'll just stuff that into a pocket of the larger messenger bag.

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
Oh-- and be sure to check out Rick Steves' website, particularly about money questions.  Actually, logistical questions are well-addressed there, too.  :) 

CapitalOne has great no-fee debit and credit cards that have NO foreign transaction fees.  We're planning to use those as our primaries, with our lowest rate/fee other cards as the backups that stay in the waist packs.

I also have (somewhere), zippered lycra WRIST wallets for DD and I-- just large enough for a card and cash, and able to slide up an arm to the elbow (under a jacket).

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
Hurray!!

Hotels in Dublin, North Wales, and London should all have electric kettles in the rooms (or probably by asking, I'd guess)-- all three hotels list "coffee and tea making" as in-room amenities.

Hard to tell with the Paris hotel.  Hmmm.. Oh well.  I figure that our tour guide will probably have advice on the subject, and we'll have plenty of time to figure out a back up plan if they don't. 

(WHEW.)

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
For some reason the international travel thread in Schools is locked so I cannot post this there.  You posted about kettles in the UK and Irish hotels but were not sure about Paris.  Could you pack something like this:

http://www.magellans.com/dual-voltage-heating-coil-22269
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 10:24:25 AM »
Yes, and I probably will-- I just have to get down to our local AAA office while they are... open.  (GGA, they keep shorter hours than the banks do...)

Thanks for the tip about the locked thread.  Probably was me posting from a mobile device-- those mod buttons are REALLY easy to trigger from a phone or tablet.   :hiding:  Though I'd like to take this oh-so-appropriate moment to offer kudos to our moderators, because they so SELDOM do these things.  (Feels like it's mostly me...  :footinmouth:)

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 09:27:45 PM »
Completely off topic, but since I'm a mod in here I'm gonna look the other way.   :evil:

((I'm just so excited for you all.  Just wanted to say this.  I'm sure I'm not alone.  I just read this thread and I smile and I'm just thrilled you are going to do this trip and have the time of your lives!!))

That is all.   :smooch:

ETA -- ((And I'm gonna hold my breath until you are home safely.
Again, I am SURE I'm not alone.))
   :grouphug:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »
Me, too, Ajas!  Me, too!!

Which means that SOMEONE out there needs to be breathing for the rest of us.  That's a long time to hold our collective breath.   ;D

Got our dual band European emergency phones today-- went with Mobal. 

(They have a good reputation for awesome coverage for calls in Europe, though their rates are not the cheapest by any means-- Cello is the other really reputable travel phone company, just in case anyone wanted to know).

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »
At some point in the next few weeks, I intend to come back here and post-post-post all of the links from my favorites folder here.

I have a bunch of things.

DD's stated objective while in London?

The Ripper Tour.  LOL.  Hey-- it meets at the Tower Hill Tube station at 7:30 every evening.  LondonWalks.  They are the ones, apparently.  Should be fun.  ;D

This is okay-- because my top objective in Paris (well, okay, after l'orangerie to see the Monets)?

Yeah... the PENDULUM at Musée des Arts et Métiers.  Photo Op.  Me, and this book (okay-- maybe I'll just take the cover):

Yes, bit of an awkward fangirl moment.... and one that I've been waiting for since my teens, it is true... 

I have pointed out to poor mortified DD that at least it's not a Stephanie Meyer book or anything.   And I don't actually plan to LIE on the floor, as tempting as it might be.   :rofl:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:37:27 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 08:01:47 AM »
Also sort of OT:  I've long promised DD that we'll go to Paris when she turns 18 and I turn 50 (our birthdays are only 5 days apart May 17 for me and May 22 for her--perfect time for Paris, though she'll probably have stupid SOL testing).  My must see place:  La Sainte Chappelle. 

http://www.fromparis.com/virtual-tour-sainte-chapelle/

USA-Virginia

Offline eragon

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »
ooh! the ripper tour! I want to go on that!

I loved the tower of london some years ago with the kids a fab day out! 

and we have booked to go to paris this summer!

recently went on the harry potter tour, was really fantastic, am going to go again one day soon!
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
The latest wrinkle is that I'm not sure that we can get Beef/Chicken Ramen into the EU because of import restrictions on meat.... and DD ate all of the Oriental flavor over the past two weeks... naturally, when I went to the ONLY (scruffy) store in town that carries the Maruchan brand... all they had was shrimp.    They did have quite a lot of that, however.  FAR, FAR more than I could eat.  LOL. 

:disappointed:   Yeah, just.... NO.

<SIGH>

(Yes, I am Irish, and no, as far as I know, no Murphy's in the tree....)  Oh well.  two weeks to figure it out, right?

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
The latest wrinkle is that I'm not sure that we can get Beef/Chicken Ramen into the EU because of import restrictions on meat.... and DD ate all of the Oriental flavor over the past two weeks... naturally, when I went to the ONLY (scruffy) store in town that carries the Maruchan brand... all they had was shrimp.    They did have quite a lot of that, however.  FAR, FAR more than I could eat.  LOL. 
 :disappointed:   Yeah, just.... NO.

<SIGH>
 (Yes, I am Irish, and no, as far as I know, no Murphy's in the tree....)  Oh well.  two weeks to figure it out, right?

Amazon.com has it.  If you're a prime member, it would be shipped free. 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=maruchan+ramen#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=maruchan+ramen+oriental&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amaruchan+ramen+oriental

If you're not a prime member, PM. I'd be happy to order for you and have it shipped to your address.

USA-Virginia

Offline eragon

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 06:29:37 AM »
Raman? as in the dried noodle type of stuff?

think we have that over here........give me details I will shop around etc,  and perhaps you might be able get it when you are here.

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
We're pretty limited to the one brand, after I did some investigation.  The rest that I looked into all make a peanut/cashew-containing variety in shared production space.   :-[

I'm going to make phone calls this morning, and if nothing else, well... sufficient unto the day, right?  I'm trying to take a more sanguine approach to things.

Local AAA store had a dual-voltage immersion heater, so that part is good. 

Western U.S.