Oatmeal and Canned Pumpkin

Started by jessma03, September 17, 2012, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessma03

What brands of Oatmeal and canned pumpkin are safe. DS is allergic to Peanuts,Eggs<seafood and we avoid treenuts!! Thanks
DS--Allergic to Peanuts,Eggs,Seafood,Garlic andmany outdoor allergies!!!

MandCmama

Based on past phone calls, I trust Quaker's labeling (it's been several years since I've spoken to them).  I always use Wegman's brand pumpkin.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

rebekahc

We use Quaker oatmeal and have used Libby pumpkin.  I haven't used the pumpkin in a while, so it's probably worth double-checking and not just taking my word for it.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

CMdeux

We've used Stahlbush Island pumpkin and Libby's.

I've never called, but confirmed years ago that the former facility does not handle any nuts.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

Quaker and Libby's here for child with pn & egg but I never called.

jessma03

DS--Allergic to Peanuts,Eggs,Seafood,Garlic andmany outdoor allergies!!!

bleh

DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Jessica

There was a recent thread where someone said they called Quaker and were told that they only label for shared lines if they feel there is a risk. If I find the thread I'll link it. We've been using Great Value for oatmeal and Libby for canned pumpkin.

eta: the thread has disappeared. I looked for it last year and couldn't find it then, but I specifically remember having a discussion about this with dh while I was reading the thread and he remembers it too, so I know it was here. Apparently some threads here are deleted.

That said, I think I would still trust them for plain oats. But great value labels so well we just use that.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

hezzier

Jessica- I remember a thread having to do with life cereal that is made by quaker.  Here's the link...

Life Cereal (do not label for shared lines/facilities)

pitter patter

Quaker told me a few months back that their oatmeal is made on shared lines with nuts.  They also told me that they only label for shared lines if after a thorough cleaning they think there still may be a risk.  I stopped using all Quaker products after that.  Shared lines, regardless of how good the cleaning, is not in my comfort zone  I use Great Value rolled oats as they read safe for my area.  I also use better oats brand instant oatmeal.  Better oats told me that their oatmeal is run on nut free lines but there are nuts in the facility but packaged in a separate room.  I use libby's canned pumpkin.
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Jessica

Quote from: pitter patter on September 17, 2012, 08:55:16 PM
Quaker told me a few months back that their oatmeal is made on shared lines with nuts.  They also told me that they only label for shared lines if after a thorough cleaning they think there still may be a risk.  I stopped using all Quaker products after that.  Shared lines, regardless of how good the cleaning, is not in my comfort zone  I use Great Value rolled oats as they read safe for my area.  I also use better oats brand instant oatmeal.  Better oats told me that their oatmeal is run on nut free lines but there are nuts in the facility but packaged in a separate room.  I use libby's canned pumpkin.

I think yours is the post I was thinking of because I'm sure it was here and not at the old board. But the old post is very informative too, so thanks, hezzier, for linking that.

Better Oats did not tell me that-only that none of their oat varieties had nuts in them. DD doesn't eat them anyway.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

krasota

I always buy store brand pumpkin and have never called.  We don't buy Libby's (Nestle product), but I wouldn't have called on that, either.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview