login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "May Contain Tree Nuts"  (Read 5894 times)

Description: Would you avoid?

Offline YouKnowWho

"May Contain Tree Nuts"
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:53:48 AM »
DS2 is not allergic to tree nuts.  We have been periodically challenging tree nuts at home that are PF with success (with allergist's blessing because he shows no reaction on SPT or RAST to them).  His issues started out as legume related only and we were avoiding all "starchy" beans but those reactions seemed to have passed.  His only positive is peanuts at this point...

As a result, I have been lax on products that are a may contain for tree nuts such as Hershey Bars and some of DS1's gluten free foods.  I still don't give him overtly tree nutty foods that are not verified PF.

The PTA president was asking why we hadn't submitted our order form for the fundraiser.  Magazines that don't fit our lifestyle, wrapping paper that is too thick, the freaking expense.  She mentioned that the chocolates were Peanut Free.  Now, my definition of PF means they are on dedicated equipment.  The fundraiser's definition means they share lines with peanuts and tree nuts.  I may be lax, but not that lax (plus I refuse to support a company based on their screwed up definitions, kwim).  So I tried to explain that to this woman about while we do eat some shared lines stuff, we don't do shared lines with peanuts.

Now this woman has somewhat of an idea (I think the other co-president has been schooling her).  She questioned why I would allow shared tree nut lines since they often contaminated with peanuts.  (Mind you this is the same woman who told everyone I was a B for not letting my kids eat snowcones and Rita's without prior knowledge). 

Am I crazy to consider shared lines or may contains for tree nuts?  I would think the risk for contamination is high, but the risk for contamination with a tree nut that has contaminated with peanuts is a stretch...
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: "May Contain Tree Nuts"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »
You're doing fine, IMO.  If my kid was only allergic to peanuts, I would not worry about that may degrees of separation either.  Sounds like she's a bully trying to intimidate you - don't let her.   :heart:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
For MFA with cross-reactivity like we have we have to crawl botanical families. The FDA also considers some drupaceous seeds to be tree nuts. I would leave it at telling someone the answer would require a serious investment of her time beginning with understanding how anaphylaxis occurs in the body per AllergistMom's blog entry.

People like that are more dangerous with partial information. There is no half-butting it here.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »
I agree with Rebekah.  She sounds like a bully.

I expect she'll be trying to force you to justify your decisions.  Don't.  It's not her business.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:23 AM »
Agreed. It's a trap. You can't pierce perceptual defense.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »
Agreeing with everyone else here - she's being a bit ridiculous and seems to be trying to get into an argument with you.

Everyone here knows that life with allergies, especially with MFA is pretty much a risk benefit analysis on everything that you put in your mouth.  If I were in your situation, I'm pretty sure that I would do the same thing.  You're not having problems doing what you are doing, and while it is important to keep kids safe, it is also important for them to have treats and be restricted as little as possible.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
what surprises me is that they are asking why you didn't order?!  So, do they call everyone who doesn't order?? 

More often than not I forget about those fundraisers, or else I send a check of money and don't order anything.  Half of it is candy that we cannot have and the other half is junk stuff that I don't want to spend my money on.  I'd rather the school get my money.

I agree-- that woman is trying to get a rise out of you and she just doesn't get FAs.  And she's obviously got a bee up her butt. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »
tell her to MHOB
agree with everything posted, she's a bully.
totally uncool to outright ask why you didn't participate in the fundraiser. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »
Small school and she knows who I am - we were at the PTA meeting last night for a concert.  She started with how much DS1 was admiring the prizes and asking if he sold enough to earn them.  Conversation snowballed from there.  Yes, she is a bully and a few other choice words.  I know that.

Basically my brain is not wired right currently and she had me judging what works for our family.  I just wanted to make sure I was not far off the mark, kwim?
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »
I'm speechless!  Really?  Looking for you to submit your order?

Now I know why I stay away from all fundraisers!

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
There's no way to explain how you have to trade off risks between so many allergens. After getting FA sandbagged midway seemingly casual conversations I now never assume any conversation will be innocent even with good friends or family.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »
There's no way to explain how you have to trade off risks between so many allergens. After getting FA sandbagged midway seemingly casual conversations I now never assume any conversation will be innocent even with good friends or family.

I've explained it successfully as an issue of degrees of separation relative to level of risk. I'm comfortable with two degrees of separation: for instance, I wouldn't eat a may-contain, but I'm comfortable kissing M after he has (obviously not the issue here!), or with someone else eating it in my kitchen.
The 3 is silent.

twinturbo

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
For some reason there is more disconnect with reality when you explain on behalf of kids, my best guess is it becomes conflated with how one parents as in overprotective.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »
It's weird because I am always "that" parent that makes a big deal over food.  Apparently I have the most allergic kids in the school for based on what I have to fight for (which all of us know isn't necessarily true, I just have knowledge of what is right and wrong legally).

And really you have to question why I don't want certain candy in my house or why I make the decisions that I do?  Considering that I am the reason you got your butt handed to you on a silver platter?

Like I said, serious case of self doubt.  Which is odd for me allergy wise because I am generally pretty confident, right or wrong in decisions that I make for the household.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »

I've explained it successfully as an issue of degrees of separation relative to level of risk. I'm comfortable with two degrees of separation: for instance, I wouldn't eat a may-contain, but I'm comfortable kissing M after he has (obviously not the issue here!), or with someone else eating it in my kitchen.

Perfectly phrased. 

This is why I'm okay with products which share lines with may-contains... but not those which share them with known allergens (because in my mind that IS a "may contain" rather than possibly cross-contaminated with one).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.