How many EpiPens do you bring on your trips?

Started by notashrimpwimp, October 14, 2012, 04:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notashrimpwimp

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted.

I was just wondering how many EpiPens you carry with you on your trips?

The two I have in my purse expire October 2012- during my trip. I have an additional two that I plan to bring with me. Should I carry another two, bringing my total to six?

Also, if you've worn a mask during flights, were you able to stick a straw underneath or do you think that will compromise the seal?

Thank you!

SilverLining

Sticking a straw under the mask would definitely compromise the seal.

For son and I together, I usually bring three epi-pens, BUT we haven't flown in many years.

TabiCat

We have flown twice with DS we had two sets so four pens realatively short flights over land where there would be an option for an emergancy landing

Ds did not use a mask. Peanuts were not served but no anouncment or request was made reguarding others eating peanuts or nots on board. DS wore long sleaves and pants on board. No clue if it actually helped but it made me feel like we were reduceing exposure to residue.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Janelle205

I usually take 8.

However, I'm a severe asthmatic, and epi is part of my asthma plan as well.

yelloww

I take 6-8 epis, liquid steroids, benadryl, and an inhaler for ds.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GingerPye

When the 4 of us go, we end up taking 6.  Each child has 2; I carry 2 also just in case someone loses their epis.  (it's happened)  And my husband has asthma, so if I felt he needed it (inhaler wasn't working or something) I'd use an epi on him as well. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Janelle205

I don't know if you have asthma as well, but wanted to say that if you will be taking a nebulizer with you in your carry-on, make sure that it is easy to take out - they require extra screening.  The TSA folks have always been super nice about it though - and I'm a person with tons of meds.

spacecanada

I usually bring four on vacation.  Since yours will expire during vacation, I would count them as part of the four.  According to our pharmacist, Epis are still good to use as backup doses for a month or two beyond the expiry but make sure you have at least two fresh ones.  You may want to check with your pharmacist/allergist/GP about that to be sure.

We also call the airline to see if they have Epi onboard AND that their staff are trained to administer it.  If not, then I may bring more doses.

Also, where is your destination?  If you will be more than an hour from emergency medical help, you may want to bring more. 

Oh the joys of planning vacation.  I hope you have a wonderful trip, wherever it may be.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

CMdeux

For our transatlantic flight next spring, we (meaning us and the allergist) have discussed ten.  That's probably an exceptional situation, but DD and I both have anaphylaxis history, and well, it's hard to land a 747 on water and find a hospital south of Greenland.

We usually travel with four to six in teh U.S. (we don't generally fly).
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

maeve

We've taken 6 with us when we've flown and usually have 4 to 6 with us on other trips.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

notashrimpwimp

Janelle205, no asthma.

Spacecanada, I'll be landing in Vegas and I've seen a hospital nearby. Thank you!

I realized that I need to renew my inhaler.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview