kripes

Started by hopechap, September 26, 2012, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopechap

So a child just brought in a JAR of PB to class and began spreading it for his snack.  Classroom is not offically P-free. Teacher did email the parent alerting them that this is uncool. 

Who in this day and age sends their kid to school with a jar of PB and a knife ?

YouKnowWho

I might send a little handipack for dipping but DS1 is the only one with allergies in his grade.

I wonder if another parent or child was in charge of sending in the snack.  DH thought chocolate bars would be a good snack last year when I was ill  :misspeak:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

CMdeux

Hmmmm-- well, one of two things.  This was either not-usually-in-charge-adult (er-- or not-adult)...

someone who is UNUSUALLY stupid (had to put it there, because I suppose that is a possibility, if only just),

or it was blatant retaliation/intimidation if it was a parent that was looking to make a point and KNEW another child with PA was in the class.

I hate to say it, but I think it's almost 50-50 between doors number 1 and 3 there.   :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

YouKnowWho

I would lean more strongly to someone else in charge than retaliation.  It's not a peanut free room, just a peanut friendly room (more of the please don't send blatant peanut products in kind of note, right?)

Of course there is a reason that I wake an hour before the kids because I do lunches and snacks in the morning (buying is not an option for us).  If I am not awake all heck breaks loose and I have been known to put the wrong lunchbox in the wrong backpack (which is why I rarely make differing lunches in case I do it again).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

My first instinct was dad packed lunch which means my first instinct was sexist.

yelloww

Turbo, I thought the same thing: Mom was out of town on business and dad packed lunch.  :misspeak:

GingerPye

My thought is that the kid grabbed the stuff himself and brought it to school. 

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

MandCmama

I have an example to back up your sexist inclination  ;D My husband teaches 7th grade.  One day, while on lunch duty, he saw a kid whip out a bunch of carrots and a paring knife and begin peeling away.  DH went right over to confiscate the knife, as this is a BIG DEAL in our district.  He ran interference for the kid with the principal, turning in the knife and explaining what a good kid this was, etc, etc,....Principal called home to have a parent come pick up the knife and poor mom was horrified.  She had been working overtime and Dad was running behind schedule with everyone that morning.  The kid grabbed the first thing he thought of on the way out the door. Dad was in trouble  :yes:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

Macabre

Middle school last year: this happened. The kid bought it at a nearby store while walking to school. But it was a jar of Nutella. And DS takes Nutella to school.  But he couldn't believe a kid would just eat a jar of nutella with a spoon over lunch. 8th grader.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Oh, and see, I can totally believe that.

:thumbsup: LOL.  Ask how I know...
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hopechap

Yes - I think that all our last food challenge gave us was extra pounds. Passing hazelnut means one thing. And I am sure there are air pockets in those jars. must be.

Meanwhile, sleuthing has still not turned up the answer -- but do think boys parents were in dark as he has never been in the class before and there is not an official policy. Friend told me that the boy's father is a CIA chef. She thought that meant he would not do the clueless, clumsy thing of packing a jar and a knife --I'm not sure how being a chef would change things -- but would expect a better presentation of the mid-morning nibble. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview