FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut Allergy and K teacher who thinks its no big deal  (Read 19101 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Peanut Allergy and K teacher who thinks its no big deal
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
Also--

this thread is one that I seldom link to anymore... but it changed my life.  Seriously.  I've been almost a decade paying it forward at this point.  :)

Why not obtaining a 504 is a disservice to your child...

Please note that it isn't just about your CHILD here.  It's also doing a lot of favors to the SCHOOL, too.

Once you ASK for an evaluation under 504, they HAVE to hold an eligibility meeting.  Under the law.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
NJ, would it be fair to say the net result in negotiations with your school admin is an effort to discourage you from following the 504 process? No matter how politely or civilly it may presented.

Offline joanna5

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
At our old school, we had a similar experience.  They were quick to offer accommodations without a 504.  I just kept steering it back to eligibility.  Since he meets the criteria, he's eligible.  Full stop.  He was the first kiddo to get a 504 for food allergies in the district- and it was only three years ago. 

Then, after that, they kept trying to say "oh, we don't need to put that in the 504- it's just our regular policy."  The response to that is, "Great, then since it's policy, it won't be a problem to add it to the 504." 

Given the principal's wishy washy-ness, I'd be extra sure to get the 504.  He qualifies.  There's no down side to having one for you or him.  The only down side for the school (since they're offering you all of the accommodations anyway) is the accountability... which is a huge thing for you guys to have in place.

Good luck!
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline FrustratedinNJ

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 08:25:52 PM »
Truth. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Assistant super is in full support of us and expressed disgust for the way in which principal acted. I will check out those threads :-) thanks again
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:28:44 PM by FrustratedinNJ »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »
Oh I'm glad you do have the support if the assistant super.

I know all of this isn't easy. Figuring out what to do at times like this can be so hard sometimes. :grouphug:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »
An excellent time to write up a thank you in the format of a letter of understanding to assistant superintendent?

Offline yelloww

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2013, 06:26:14 AM »
I had a similar situation to Johanna in an adjacent state to yours after having a 504 in NJ and moving. They wanted just an IHP. We have the 504, but were the first ones here who had one for MFA's.

Fast forward five years- there are a bunch of 504's in the lower grades for FA's and that's just how things are done here now.  I just happened to be the first. Now they use them as a CYA. :thumbsup:

Offline bleh

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 07:20:15 AM »
How early can you start the 504 process? My daughter starts Kindergarten next year and I am tempted to call now and ask about it...
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 07:35:53 AM »
Stinky got one for her son before he started K.

Children with special needs often go through the Child Find process in preschool and receive services then.

My assumption is that you can do this now, but you may want to be aware if testing in the spring if standardized testing is big in your state. It occupies a lot of time and energy in some areas, and teachers and administrators can really want to focus on that without distraction. If that's the case with your school, schedule well in advance of that intense prep time.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts