It was risky but we did it anyway!

Started by TabiCat, October 13, 2012, 07:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabiCat

The following is NOT a suggestion of what anyone else should consider an acceptable risk for themselves or their child.

As the long timers know I live in a tight knit tiny community; a farming community, a PEANUT farming community. The annual peanut festival is a fall tradition here. It is the major community event with more than 100 year history.   We LOVE our town and the people in it and we love being a part of the community.

A few years ago the Festival committee made an honest effort to make the kiddie games that take place on the Tuesday prior to the festival peanut safe. Even with their efforts it just didn't fit our comfort zone but I know of a couple of PA kids that have been able to go.

The festival includes 2 parades a small kiddie parade where the KIDS make display home made "floats" and the Festival parade BIG event. The past 2 years DD has preformed in the Festival Parade. Last year the Festival committee made a ruling that banned the tossing of peanuts from the floats to the crowd, handing out peanuts at the parades, and decorating with lose peanuts. Floats and cars can be decorated with FAKE peanuts or peanuts still attached to the plant.  They took a bit of flack but held their ground so this year we decided to allow DS to see the parade.

We found a spot near the front and away from the actual festival grounds at the court house because I knew those same peanut plants would be all over the square hanging from everything. We backed in the truck and put chairs in the bed (pretty common) so he could see without being down in the crowd were people might be eating peanuts. 

He was able to enjoy the parade and we had no problems. We showed him from a distance all the plants on the vehicles with peanuts on them and now he seems to understand why we can't go to the fair and carnival. Though it still makes him sad he understands better that there really are A LOT of peanuts.

Now I am now ready to be flogged by my FAS family. ;) ;) ;)
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

momma2boys

No flogging!  I'm so happy your ds got to enjoy the parade  :heart: !  Also kudos to those trying to make it safe for pa kiddos to take part in the festivities  :thumbsup: .
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Mookie86

It's up to each of us to decide what's safe for our family and what we're comfortable doing.  I'm so glad it worked out for your family to participate and it worked out well!  It sounded like a lot of fun, and good for them for trying to figure out a way to include PA people at a PN festival.

twinturbo

I still buy nut snack presents online for people who can enjoy them. No flogging from me I'm allergen agnostic. We still eat and serve some allergens in our own home.

SilverLining

So glad he was able to enjoy watching the parade, and that he now understands your concern.  Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

YouKnowWho

Quote from: twinturbo on October 13, 2012, 07:54:22 PM
I still buy nut snack presents online for people who can enjoy them. No flogging from me I'm allergen agnostic. We still eat and serve some allergens in our own home.

What she said  :yes:

Do what works for your family and if it doesn't work, back up, redraw the plans and start over. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

hezzier

I'm glad you found a way for him to enjoy the parade.  Very cool

eragon

I think you did the right thing, enabling your child to enjoy a normal activity with a consideration for individual/ own  comfort zones. which will support your child as they grow older as he  takes on more responsibility, also a good confidence booster.

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

hedgehog

No reason for flogging.  I am so glad you found a way that your family could enjoy your community's big event.  Or at least part of it.  Being involved in the big events in your community can be very important, especially if you are in a small town (or someplace with a small town feel).
USA

TabiCat

Oh the the flooging comment was toung-in-cheek but it is also an acknowledgement that:

1 we were taking on a certain amount of risk with this.
That many would not have found acceptable even with the efforts to minimize.

And

2. That some people here UNDERSTANDABELY have difficulty with the very idea of a Peanut Festival and our taking part.

Texas

Janelle205

I think that you made a good choice for your family.

I eat peanuts and peanut products a lot - I hope none of the allergy folks hate me for that.  I don't hate anyone for eating apples - well, unless they do it in my presence with the intention of being obnoxious.

TabiCat

Janelle- I am sure no one hates you. To some people it is not a matter of eatting or buying peanut products that is bothersome. It is the act act of celebrating something that is harmful to their child. This was brought up as an issue when we decided to allow DD to participate. Its an understandable sentiment but we have a slightly different veiw as a familly.

Texas

CMdeux

OH, TABI!!!!

I'm so thrilled for your family that you were able to participate in this community event.  I know that it has been painful and isolating for your family to feel that you have to opt out year after year.   :grouphug:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

PurpleCat

I think it was a great idea!

As our children get older, they need to learn and know how to navigate their worlds safely.  Your child is growing up in a community that will always have risks and your showing him that he can participate with precautions not only makes him feel included but also slowly begins to open up his world.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview