Good things happening at school!

Started by MaryM, October 03, 2012, 12:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

Last year I met a mother from my son's elementary school because our DD's (4 at the time) were in the same ballet class.  I had her ear each week and often mentioned our allergies and the issues that arise, especially at school.  I told her how I am room parent and that I make sure our parties are safe for all the kids with allergies. 

This mother is now PTA president.  Our DD's are in K together.  She really listens because somehow she got the principal to sign off making (or at least trying to make) class parties safe and inclusive.  Each room parent is supposed to find out if there are any allergies in the class (no names, just what foods need to be avoided) and plan parties accordingly.  While many would like a no food type party, at least its a step in the right direction and raises awareness at the school. PTA president mentioned how serious FAs are at back to school night!       

GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

MandCmama

:thumbsup:

I'm also amazed at how our school has turned around. During the 504 planning last spring,  the Principal wouldn't consider food free parties or even 24 hour notice on treats brought in so I could find something similar.  Back to school night we learn that parties now must be planned through food services, who will provide, at a fee to the parent, a healthy snack and non food item.  On Friday a news letter came home, and these birthday parties will only be held once a month.  The dates were provided.  Wow! More than I could have ever hoped for  :happydance:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

hezzier

Wonderful news for both of you, Mary M & M&C.  There is no hope for our school.  I need to go into the nurse and find out what happened...but it's rumored a special education student who is PA, got a hold of PB in the cafeteria.  I know nothing more other than an ambulance came.  This of course happens in a state that you can have non-designated epis, but so far I've not had a whole lot of luck convincing a dr to write the script.  The amount of food flowing through the school is astronomical.  Our district is so far behind the times, that it's basically come down to if DH doesn't get a full time job by this summer, we are moving.  I don't have the energy to change the district...it's too big (5 elementary schools & 2 jr highs) and our superintendent keeps his head buried in the sand. 

Sorry I vented, but I'm excited for the both of you!

Mookie86

MaryM and MandCMama, so glad you are in such understanding environments.  At my school, it's up to each individual room parents' attitude how inclusive parties are.  ~) 

hezzier, I hope you end up in a good environment, and I hope that child you mentioned is ok.

I'm not room parent this year, but when I've planned class parties, I've learned all dietary restrictions in the class and have found food that meets every health, religious, and ethical food restriction.  Food is expected at the parties, so this was the best way to go about it.

When I volunteer to help at class parties but am not coordinating it, I always offer to provide some of the food or get the person bringing food to consider the students' and teachers' dietary restrictions.  Yes, one year we provided a gluten-free treat so the teacher could eat at the party.

MaryM

:thumbsup: Mookie - thats what I always do too.  I don't want any child to be excluded.  It stinks. 

hez - I hope you guys find a more understanding community if you move. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview