Give me strength - UPDATED Oct. 19

Started by SilverLining, June 04, 2012, 10:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLining

I have hope Mookie....I have hope.

What I really liked was when talking one on one....nobody assumed peanut allergy.  I absolutely hate when asking how they deal with allergies they start with "we ban peanuts".

SilverLining

Yesterday, ds comes home from school with papers he got from the V.P.

Not only do they now want the two forms I printed off the internet for the doctor to sign....there's a third that they want.  I called the V.P. and he said this third form requires my signature, and they like to have it signed by the doctor but that's not required.

QuoteIn big bold letters at the top it says  Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan:  It has my son's name and picture, lists his allergies and says where his auto-injectors are.

My son does not have asthma, but there is a box they can tick for students that do which says Asthmatic:  Person is at greater risk.  If person is having a reaction and has difficulty breathing, give epinephrine auto-injector before asthma medication.

~~

A person having an anaphylactic reaction might have ANY of these signs and symptoms:

• Skin: hives, swelling, itching, warmth, redness, rash
  • Respiratory (breathing): wheezing, shortness of breath, throat tightness, cough, hoarse voice, chest pain/tightness, nasal congestion or hay fever-like symptoms (runny itchy nose and watery eyes, sneezing), trouble swallowing
  • Gastrointestinal (stomach) nausea, pain/cramps, vomiting, diarrhea
  • Cardiovascular (heart): pale/blue colour, weak pulse, passing out, dizzy/lightheaded, shock
  • Other: anxiety, feeling of "impending doom", headache

Early recognition of symptoms and immediate treatment could save a person's life.
Act quickly. The first signs of a reaction can be mild, but symptoms can get worse very quickly.

~~~

It then gives step by step instructions, a bit more detailed then this, but basically,

• give epinephrine.  Give a second dose in 10-15 minutes or sooner IF the reaction continues or worsens.
  • call 9-1-1
  • go to hospital even if symptoms mild or have stopped
  • call contact person

And numbers are listed.

I've got to say....I'm impressed.  I've never seen a plan like this.  A copy goes in the office, the staff room, and the teacher's daybook.[/list]

maeve

Quote from: SilverLining on October 19, 2012, 09:32:31 AM
    Yesterday, ds comes home from school with papers he got from the V.P.

Not only do they now want the two forms I printed off the internet for the doctor to sign....there's a third that they want.  I called the V.P. and he said this third form requires my signature, and they like to have it signed by the doctor but that's not required.

QuoteIn big bold letters at the top it says  Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan:  It has my son's name and picture, lists his allergies and says where his auto-injectors are.

My son does not have asthma, but there is a box they can tick for students that do which says Asthmatic:  Person is at greater risk.  If person is having a reaction and has difficulty breathing, give epinephrine auto-injector before asthma medication.

~~

A person having an anaphylactic reaction might have ANY of these signs and symptoms:

• Skin: hives, swelling, itching, warmth, redness, rash
    • Respiratory (breathing): wheezing, shortness of breath, throat tightness, cough, hoarse voice, chest pain/tightness, nasal congestion or hay fever-like symptoms (runny itchy nose and watery eyes, sneezing), trouble swallowing
    • Gastrointestinal (stomach) nausea, pain/cramps, vomiting, diarrhea
    • Cardiovascular (heart): pale/blue colour, weak pulse, passing out, dizzy/lightheaded, shock
    • Other: anxiety, feeling of "impending doom", headache

Early recognition of symptoms and immediate treatment could save a person's life.
    Act quickly. The first signs of a reaction can be mild, but symptoms can get worse very quickly.

~~~

It then gives step by step instructions, a bit more detailed then this, but basically,

• give epinephrine.  Give a second dose in 10-15 minutes or sooner IF the reaction continues or worsens.
    • call 9-1-1
    • go to hospital even if symptoms mild or have stopped
    • call contact person

And numbers are listed.

I've got to say....I'm impressed.  I've never seen a plan like this.  A copy goes in the office, the staff room, and the teacher's daybook.[/list]

That sounds very similar to the form used by our school system.  There's also a separate asthma action plan too.
    "Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
    DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

SilverLining

My son has had an IHP since Jr. Kindergarten.  All I've ever seen is Form 536B used.

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/ppf/uploads/files/live/100/376.pdf

And one school did not put it in the teachers daybook...until I suggested it.  I completely forgot to mention it to this school, but the form says it is placed there.  :thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
    Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
    Email:
    Verification:
    Please leave this box empty:
    Type the letters shown in the picture
    Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
    Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
    Please spell spammer backwards:
    Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview