login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Worried about working  (Read 11168 times)

Description: Some may remember the trials of two years ago

Offline nameless

Re: Worried about working
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
So it does get more complicated when you are not a direct employee --- being on contract to an organization is a whole different beast. I'm assuming you mean like you were a vendor to them, filled out a W-9, got a 1099 at the end of the year, etc. Even though it's wrong, there really aren't solid rules to protect you b/c I'm sure there is wording in your contract about "termination with no reason".  If there isn't - you could take them to court if they cut your contract early. A contract is a contract and binding, it just depends on the words in the contract.

In whatever-major-city near you there is probably a group/org/something that helps small business owners --- that includes the self-employed who work contract to contract. File yourself as a business, get a business license (which technically you need no matter what you do...if you get a 1099 for any reason...being a vendor w/ goods, selling/making goods, or being an office worker, programmer, etc. --- you should have a business license) --- once you have THAT you are a small business owner, and a female one at that. There ARE places to give you free legal advice, etc. and help, some grants even.

Good luck :)
Adrienne

They called me a temporary hire with a contract that could be renewed yearly. The biggest part of my classification was that I was not earning civil service while working.

Oddly, the place I worked last year made me fill out a W-4 and gave me a 1099 (and they wouldn't give me a pay statement either!).

I'll be sure to do that as it may come in handy should I be able to cobble together a living with my creativity. Thanks!

Yup - that means you were an independent contractor...further...I'm sure you found at tax time that you owed self-employment taxes. 1099's are for "non-employee compensation" and they probably had you in a ind. cont. or vendor.

They totally took advantage of you, imho, if they didn't explain to you the differences between being an actual employee and being an ind. contr. it means they were not paying their portion of taxes on you or things like workers comp or having any liability or disability insurance on you.

I hope you can find something that fits :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Janelle205

Re: Worried about working
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 08:32:48 PM »
I don't have much advice, but wanted to say that I hope that you find a good place - and they are out there.

The daycare that I worked at completely stopped serving all apple products in all rooms while I worked there.  Granted, this was after I got picked up by an ambulance, but they asked if I needed it before, and I had told them no, so it was my fault - I didn't think that I was so sensitive.  There are good places and people out there - I wish you luck in finding one.