login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: vegetarian chili  (Read 4360 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
vegetarian chili
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
Posting for future reference.  I have not made it, but a friend did and her kids loved it.  Mine would not, but that made me come share it here.  Some other kids migh tlike it, lol.  I think it looks interresting.  I like balck beans, love sweet potatoes and need to get kale into my diet. 

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 ½ cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, pressed
2 ½ cups ½-inch pieces peeled sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Salt and pepper
3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
2 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
3 cups (packed) coarsely chopped kale

In a large soup pot, add the oilive oil and heat over a medium high heat.Add the onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. Add in the sweet potatoes and spices, stir and add the rest of the ingredients.Cover, bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes and kale are fork tender. Ladle it up and enjoy!.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

Re: vegetarian chili
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
I tried one similar to that and none of us liked it.  Much too sweet.

I wish we did, because it really looked and smelled great!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
Oh this is yummy.  I refuse to call it chili when we make it, lol, because it doesn't fit the Texan definition of chili (and chili came from Texas). Soup with beans and stuff is called soup with beans and stuff, lol.  ;D

We make vegetarian chili--the way we do regular chili (without beans) but using the Morningstar Farms crumbles instead of meat. It is AMAZING.  Every once in a while DH will add beans. Grrrr.

Thanks for posting this. I have to go searching online for it when I make it, and this is handy. May make it tonight!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
Becca--it just occurred to me that the recipe I'm making tonight is essentially this.  I had posted a link to it in the quinoa recipes thread, because it has quinoa.  This is the second time I'm making it.  It is AMAZING.  And it's cooking in my crock pot right now, and I'm about to die, because it smells so good.

I used Adobo seasoning and Ancho Chili Powder.  And I put in some dried jalapenos.  And a cup of quinoa. But no kale. 

Can't wait to eat this tonight. 

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
Can you post that recipe here, too, Mac?  Or put the link here?  Too lazy to go looking for it.

Ooops, never mind.  Just found that thread.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
I make a vegetarian chili that has an eggplant base with peppers, onions, red kidney beans, etc....  Will post if you want it.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
Yes!  We adore eggplant.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
Here it is!

Vegetable Chili   (adapted from the Silver Palate Cookbook)

1 medium size eggplant, unpeeled, cut into ½” cubes
1 tbs coarse Kosher salt (I don’t use this)
¾ cup or as needed olive oil
2 medium yellow onions cut into ¼” dice
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 large green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into ¼” dice
1 can (35 oz) Italian plum tomatoes
1 ½ lb fresh ripe Italian plum tomatoes, cut into 1” cube
2 tbs chili powder
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tbs dried basil
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fennel seeds (I use a table spoon)
½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 cup canned dark red kidney beans drained (I use whole can)
1 cup canned chick peas (garbanzos) drained (I use whole can)
1 can of small black olives drained
½ cup fresh dill chopped
2 tbs lemon juice

1.   Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with coarse salt.  Let stand for one hour.  Pat dry with paper towels.  (I don’t do this.)

2.   Heat ½ cup of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add eggplant and sauté until almost tender, adding more oil if needed.  Remove eggplant to a large pot.

3.   Heat ¼ cup of oil in same skillet over low heat.  Add onions, garlic, and green peppers and sauté just until softened, about 10 minutes.  Add to the pot with oil.

4.   Place the pot over low heat and add canned tomatoes with liquid, fresh tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, fennel, and parsley.  Cook uncovered, stirring frequently for 30 minutes.

5.   Stir in the kidney beans, chickpeas, olives, dill and lemon juice and cook for another 15 minutes.  The eggplant peel should be tender.

6.   Serve with brown rice and shredded cheddar cheese

Makes 8 portions

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »
Putting this here.  This recipe was called a chili, but I call it Vegetarian Cowboy Stew as it doesn't resemble chili to me and it highly resembles the Cowboy Stew of Girl Scouts camp days. :)  I have adapted it. The original recipe called for green bell peppers (which I don't eat) and two stalks of celery chopped which DS has had reactions to so I left that out.  I took these out and put in more southwestern ingredients.   It also called for chili powder. I used chipotle powder instead. ANd it called for parsley, oregano and basil--all not used in my recipe.

1 (19 ounce) can black bean soup (I just use black beans. Amy's does make a black bean soup, and I've used that once. Fine either way.)
 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained (I don't think I've used these. The recipe called for kidney beans, but pinto beans are more cowboy like.)
 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans.  Bush's makes some. 
 1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes in puree
 1 can of Rotel
 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (If I don't have corn, I just include another veggie. Corn doesn't have much nutritional value anyway.)
 1 onion, chopped.  Or 2.
 1 poblano pepper, chopped, seeds removed
 2 cloves garlic, chopped
 1 tablespoon chipotle powder, or to taste
 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
 1 teaspoon of dried jalapeno or fresh. Or fresh serrano, which is less spicy. Remove the seeds if using fresh peppers.
Half a bag of Morningstar Farms Crumbles. It comes frozen and I just dumped it in. It wasn't necessary protein-wise, but it was good.  If it freaks you out, leave it out.

In a slow cooker, combine everything. Cook for at least two hours on High.  Add some water if you think it needs it.

This is incredibly yummy.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
Thanks, Mac!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
what is Rotel?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »
Catelyn--just now seeing this. Rotel is a canned tomato with peppers. There are different varieties.  They come from Texas, and I'm darned happy to get them up here.  Look for them next time you shop in the US.