Hershey's labeling change?

Started by KSLaru, October 19, 2012, 08:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KSLaru

Tonight I was looking at some Halloween candy and picked up a mini Heath bar bag (Hershey's) just to check, and there was no allergen statement at all.  So I picked up a bag of Hershey's miniatures, and again - no allergen statement.  The ingredient list did have peanuts, milk, the usual other stuff.  Does anyone know if they are changing their labelling?  I always felt they were reliable in their allergen and advisory labels.   ???

YouKnowWho

I picked up the snack size Hershey bars packaged for Halloween and it had its usual May Contain Almonds. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

MandCmama

Hmmm. Would love to know if they are. We've had the opposite problem- lots of holiday items that used to be safe, are no longer  :-/
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

becca

I think, if there is an intended allergen in the ingredients list, there is not a warning.  A warning is only on items where there is not the nut in the candy, but it is made on the same equipment or in the facility. 

For examply, milk chocloate always has milk, and I do not find milk warnings on the labels for Heshey chocolate candies.  It is listed as an ingredient, however. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Jessica

But in the case of miniatures, wouldn't the other candies that don't have actual nuts (the plain chocolate, dark chocolate, Krackel) have those warnings? So it should still be on the bag. Or is there one big community ingredient list for all 4 varieties? I haven't looked at those bags in forever, but when I buy other things with different varieties inside, they have a separate ingredient list and warnings for each variety.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

maeve

Quote from: Jessica on October 22, 2012, 11:03:05 AM
But in the case of miniatures, wouldn't the other candies that don't have actual nuts (the plain chocolate, dark chocolate, Krackel) have those warnings? So it should still be on the bag. Or is there one big community ingredient list for all 4 varieties? I haven't looked at those bags in forever, but when I buy other things with different varieties inside, they have a separate ingredient list and warnings for each variety.

I picked up a large back of Miniatures to check the ingredients while in Target last night.  There is no allergen warning; however, there is one overall ingredients listing and, for example, peanut is clearly listed.  I agree with Becca that the labelling has only consistently had a warning of it's a shared line for an item in which an allergen is not already an ingredient.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

karloujohn2

hi all, this is my first time writing. My daughter who's 3 has a severe allergy to tree nuts and peanuts. I have been told that personal size Hershey chocolate bars are safe and made in a seperate area, but that all miniture, king size or holiday mix are not safe.  Have you found similiar info?

Jessica

By personal size do you mean the regular 1.55 oz bars sold at the checkout counters? if so, that is the size we always buy.

btw-welcome!
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview